Paperwork needed for actual registry office ceremony itself?

Daft question perhaps, but I've read through all the guidance on the council website and it seems that it's the "giving notice" appointment (which has been done already) where you bring all the docs along and fill out paperwork, and, provided you've paid in advance for the ceremony itself, all you have to bring along to it is...

... nothing
in the way of paperwork - just the couple and two witnesses.

... is that right?

You don't have to bring any id or anything else along on the day at all?

That's it. That's my question. I know some kind MSE forumite will put me straight!

Replies

• FBabyFBaby Forumite
    18.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We had to bring ID on the actual day and confirm what was written on the registry before going ahead with the ceremony.
  • 74jax74jax Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We didn't need anything. I met the woman out side the main room, she asked me some questions, then walked in to the front. I waited for my entrance song and then walked in.

Oh made a playlist for guests and he knew when I was outside the door waiting to come in by the song, he knew what time it was.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • 74jax wrote: »
    We didn't need anything. I met the woman out side the main room, she asked me some questions, then walked in to the front. I waited for my entrance song and then walked in.

Same - I met the registrar in the lobby of our venue, and he asked my name, date and place of birth, whether I'd been married before and my dad's name and job. Then he gave me a quick run-through of the ceremony, and then I waited for my entrance music before walking in.

That said, we got married in a venue that was registered for civil ceremonies, so it might be different if you're marrying in a registry office. I would bring your passport just in case - better to have it and not need it than take the risk.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Providing you have not changed your name since giving Notice, you will not need any documentation to marry on the day.

The questions will be asked again but you need only provide verbal answers. Takes a couple of mins and nothing to worry about. The registrars are used to nervous couples !
    Have a great wedding day.
  • We didn't have to bring our documents with us on the day - I checked with the registrar when we went to give notice. We were verbally asked to confirm all of our details in the interviews before the ceremony and once that was done we were ready to get hitched :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android

MSE App

Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools