Solar advice

Solar king were doing the rounds on our estate and I've said they come and give me a quote tomorrow. I figure. If nothing else, they should be able to give me a starting point on what I can have fitted etc?

A friend across the road said he was quoted £8.5k for a 5.5kwp system which isn't too far from £1.50pw which seems to be the magic number or am I missing something?

I can't see myself getting a system until later on next year but some pointers would be appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• SterlingtimesSterlingtimes Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It was Solar King who insisted that my wife and I together attend their sales session at my home. They told me that that was the law. I told them to forget it. Their selling appeared to me to be quite aggressive and akin to double glazing sales.

A number of solar provider publish their prices up front. For instance, Solar Essence (which I didn't use) send me an email today with a base 16 panel price of £5,497. Anything more ought to be justified by additional benefits. Price ought to fall with £5,500 to £6,500.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
  • tunneltunnel Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    RavingMad wrote: »
    Solar king were doing the rounds on our estate and I've said they come and give me a quote tomorrow. I figure. If nothing else, they should be able to give me a starting point on what I can have fitted etc?

A friend across the road said he was quoted £8.5k for a 5.5kwp system which isn't too far from £1.50pw which seems to be the magic number or am I missing something?

I can't see myself getting a system until later on next year but some pointers would be appreciated

Thanks

My parents had s*lar king out to quote for a system, total waste of theirs, mine and the reps time. The guy that came out didn't have a clue about DNO approval, something that your neighbour across the road would have had. They were only interested in supplying a 4kWp system and their figures for payback were a little out to say the least.

They eventually quoted around £8500 for a 4kWp system, around £3k too much, I could go on and on and on but its not worth my time and yours OP, just cancel the appointment, post your rough location on here and hopefully someone may be able to recommend a local installer that's not going to try to take you to the cleaners.

I've stated on another thread that I've just held a very good friends hand through the purchase of his system for which he paid £5200(4kWp system) so Sterlings rough figures aren't too far off depending where you are.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
  • RavingMadRavingMad Forumite
    427 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I knew I was never to buy from them but I wanted someone to look at my house and tell me what I could have.

He said the max system anyone can have is 4kw, so I knew from reading the posts here that he was off to a bad start. There wasn't any pressure from him to buy, he only said that the govt were looking at getting rid of FIT in April, so buy before then.

I learned that my house faces the south from the front, is 8m x 5m, 30 degree pitch and has no shading issues. He says I could have 20 panels but 16 would be sufficient for a 4kw system.

Sorlarking are MCS accredited and offer 10 year warranty via HIES? Hence they're not the cheapest but are the safest

And the cost....£10,500. With a £2k discount if we sign up to the Connect referral scheme today.

I thanked him for his time.
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    RavingMad wrote: »
    I thanked him for his time.

You might also have suggested he turn up at the next 'open mike' night at any comedy club there might be in your area. :snow_grin
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides