MSE News: Government unveils Pensioner Bond rates – and they're market-leading

Options
13»

Comments

  • Bushey
    Bushey Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was that worth waiting for? I think Not, after tax not worth bothering with especially when restricted to 10K.
    Bushwacker. :beer:
    Retired @55yrs Financially Secure, & Totally Completely, Utterly debt free! :j
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Bushey wrote: »
    Was that worth waiting for? I think Not, after tax not worth bothering with especially when restricted to 10K.
    People were never going to get rich over this.

    If HMG paid 4% for unlimited deposits the banks and building societies would empty overnight and the government could never afford to pay for it.
  • hacksawcats
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you can convert ISA's into Pension Bonds?


    Thanks in advance
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you can convert ISA's into Pension Bonds?

    Thanks in advance

    Don't think so - I just went through the process and saw an option to pay for Bonds using an NS&I 'saver account' I think it said. Didn't take a lot of notice as I was using debit card. But definitely didn't notice any reference to ISA.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I manage to get through, is it better to put my money into the Bond for 3 years, or wait for the new ISA year - when I'd probably only take out 2 years? I anticipate needing the money in two years time, but I wouldn't be needing the interest at the moment.

    Website is completely down at the moment so question might be academic.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    If I manage to get through, is it better to put my money into the Bond for 3 years, or wait for the new ISA year - when I'd probably only take out 2 years? I anticipate needing the money in two years time, but I wouldn't be needing the interest at the moment.

    Website is completely down at the moment so question might be academic.

    Heard Martin Lewis say this morning - Take 3 yr bond, even if you cash it in after 1 yr the return will be greater than taking the 1 yr bond, including 90 days loss of interest
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Heard Martin Lewis say this morning - Take 3 yr bond, even if you cash it in after 1 yr the return will be greater than taking the 1 yr bond, including 90 days loss of interest

    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards