Bruised toe nails

Started training in January for my first run - Great Manchester Run, BUT was running in the wrong trainers (sorted that now) but as a result both toenails were very bruised.

The right one seems OK and seems to be growing fine, bruising seems to be growing out, however think the left one is dead! It's growing out and looks like it's going to drop off soon, problem is that my run is in a 2 weeks! What's my best bet? Should I just leave it and hope it hangs on in there? Can I get it removed and should I so soon to the race? If it falls off will running become painful?

Please help! Sorry for the long post just wanted to cover everything as I'm starting to panic!

p.s. I have also posted on Runners World forum, but was looking for some extra comments
2p off is still 2p off!

Comments

• suse66
    suse66 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Good luck with your run!! Not sure about the nail, can only say that in my experience the bruised and damaged nail did not come off until the new one had grown underneath. This was about 6 months after and it was apparent almost immediately that the nail was dead as I had dropped mirror on it and cut toe too. I wouldn't want to mess with having nail removed if it could alter chance of healthy nail growing beneath. Is it causing you any pain though?
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No pain what-so-ever! Just a whole lot of concern, more so because the run is so near!
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    From my experience I can say that running without a toe nail is not likely to cause you any pain if your trainers are the appropriate ones and a proper fit.

As a precaution against rubbing, I would tape a small piece of gauze over the end of the toe but otherwise you should be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure