solar novice any advice welcome

Replies

• vix2000vix2000 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info, it's getting a bit clearer now. I will check what system we have been quoted for when I get home and post more details.
  • I tend to look at my electricty meter at certain times when the PV output is stable - say 500w, 1KW etc and when the red light stops flashing you know that is your daytime base. I then do the same later, say 2kw but with the washing machine on and see if I am exporting still or importing. I love the iBoost as I know this maximises useage. Don't get too hung up over it or it'll ruin any enjoyment - just be a bit smarter i.e. if you can wait to do the washing when it's sunny then do it, but if not you can't help it and will be saving a bit anyway on the small amount you are producing.
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Here are the details I have of the system to be installed this week. Hope its the correct information. Thanks.

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p582/vix2000/IMG_2315.jpg

http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/vix2000/media/IMG_2316.jpg.html
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vix2000 wrote: »
    Here are the details I have of the system to be installed this week. Hope its the correct information. Thanks.

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p582/vix2000/IMG_2315.jpg

http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/vix2000/media/IMG_2316.jpg.html

Hiya vix. It may just be me, but I've checked back a few times, but those pics just say 'this person moved or deleted this photo'.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya vix. It may just be me, but I've checked back a few times, but those pics just say 'this person moved or deleted this photo'.

Mart.
    No, not just you :(
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • edited 11 December 2014 at 6:24PM
    EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 December 2014 at 6:24PM
    No, not just you :(

Ah, but for anyone with a bit more patience, you can click on vix2000's bucket at top of page and follow another link to his real target : http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/vix2000/library/solar?sort=3&page=1

And having done that, I can see that the quote says he'll generate 2908 kWh per year (which may or may not be true) and be able to save £349 by using it. IF he's paying 12p per kWh and using 100% of the power he generates, that might be just about possible but most of us would consider him lucky to be able to use £200 worth of it !
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about that, I'll try again

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg
  • edited 12 December 2014 at 7:12AM
    Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 December 2014 at 7:12AM
    Hiya vix.

A few points.

I totally agree with Eric that £349 leccy savings is OTT. Working from home you may save £200, but again, as Eric said you'd be lucky to manage that.

That generation figure of 2,908kWh doesn't sound right for a south facing roof. That's only 727kWh/kWp. To put it into context, for me in Cardiff, my ESE roof has a target of 808kWh/kWp and my WNW is 679. Do you have shading problems, or do you live very (very) north? Have you tried the generation estimator PVGIS mentioned in the FAQ's section 5?

[Edit - I notice that the quote says that orientation is 85, but I don't know what that means. Is it from North, so it's 5d above East. Or is it an azimuth from the sun (south) so 5d below West. Or perhaps, in an attempt to match your statement of 5d off south, do they use a scale where South is 90 and East/West is zero? M.]

You don't mention the price. Are you happy with it? Is it in the £6k region, if you don't mind me asking?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Thanks for the replies, the guy said we are 5 degrees off south facing (I thought it was SE) and we are in Sheffield, so northish. and there is no shade on the roof the panels will be on.

The cost is £8500 which I thought wasn't too bad as the panels are Sharp panels and the reviews appear to be good, but really had no idea of the current cost as its a couple of years since I looked into it. At that time a friend had paid over 4000 for 4 panels.

I am anticipating using the pay back payment towards the repayments but made sure the whole repayment is comfortably affordable.

I had originally thought it would be more than that for 16 panels. Also we were made aware of the changes due in January to reduce the payback tariff.
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    vix2000 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for the replies, the guy said we are 5 degrees off south facing (I thought it was SE) and we are in Sheffield, so northish. and there is no shade on the roof the panels will be on.

The cost is £8500 which I thought wasn't too bad as the panels are Sharp panels and the reviews appear to be good, but really had no idea of the current cost as its a couple of years since I looked into it. At that time a friend had paid over 4000 for 4 panels.

I am anticipating using the pay back payment towards the repayments but made sure the whole repayment is comfortably affordable.

I had originally thought it would be more than that for 16 panels. Also we were made aware of the changes due in January to reduce the payback tariff.

I'm near Chesterfield so have exactly same longitude as Vix2000 and a very similar latitude, My system is also 16 x 250Wp = 4kWp. Roof is absolutely South facing (I set out the building myself and made sure builders stuck to plan) though a bit shallower than would be ideal for SPs.

But my panels have been on roof for over three years so cost £12k which seems a lot by today's standards but was a very keen price in 201h. And of course my FIT tariff is a lot more generous than current installations get.

My annual generation is around 3500kWp but Vix's 30 deg slope is optimum for this area so if he really is 5 deg off true South he ought to generate rather more than me

Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Edit - I notice that the quote says that orientation is 85, but I don't know what that means. Is it from North, so it's 5d above East. Or is it an azimuth from the sun (south) so 5d below West. Or perhaps, in an attempt to match your statement of 5d off south, do they use a scale where South is 90 and East/West is zero? M.]

I too am puzzled by the 'orientation' of 85 ! Being 5deg off True East or True West might explain why annual generation estimate was so much lower thanI get.

Suggest you check it for yourself. If you have a reliable compass then use that; if not pop outdoors on a sunny day at around 6 minutes past noon and see which way the shadow from (say) a lamp post lies - that will be true North. If it turns out that roof is very close to TE or TW, then give serious consideration to a second set of panels on opposite slope (but look for a far better quote !).
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum