Anyone had any success using bPay band on London transport?

Options
I recently acquired and topped up a Barclaycard bPay band for contactless payment on the TFL network. So far it's been a spectacular failure. It NEVER opens a barrier at the first time of asking - always requiring 3-4 swipes, which is pretty annoying when there's a queue of people behind you - and frequently doesn't open the barrier at all. The most common response to swiping it is the "seek assistance" error message.

Seeking assistance is pretty pointless, as none of the station staff that I have asked for assistance even knew what the bPay band was.

The chip in the band seems fine, as it swiped immediately at the local McDonalds, so it seems that the problem is specific to TFL card readers.

I was wondering whether anyone else had had similar experiences?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My Amex contactless card never swipes first time and usually takes 3-4 taps to register.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Elfbert
    Elfbert Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    itm2 wrote: »
    I recently acquired and topped up a Barclaycard bPay band for contactless payment on the TFL network. So far it's been a spectacular failure. It NEVER opens a barrier at the first time of asking - always requiring 3-4 swipes, which is pretty annoying when there's a queue of people behind you - and frequently doesn't open the barrier at all. The most common response to swiping it is the "seek assistance" error message.

Just checking - are you actually 'swiping', or are you 'tapping' - ie, holding it still over the reader. Because Oyster cards aren't designed to 'swipe', and when I've accidentally swiped (usually when in a hurry and not taking any care), it hasn't read.

I can only imagine having a band makes it easier to move around over the reader.
    Mortgage - £[STRIKE]68,000 may 2014[/STRIKE] 45,680.
  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Elfbert wrote: »
    Just checking - are you actually 'swiping', or are you 'tapping' - ie, holding it still over the reader. Because Oyster cards aren't designed to 'swipe', and when I've accidentally swiped (usually when in a hurry and not taking any care), it hasn't read.

I can only imagine having a band makes it easier to move around over the reader.

My first attempt is always "touching" the pad rather than swiping. I then try swiping, and then try all combinations until it finally works (and I can hear the other passengers swearing behind me)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure