We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pre flight checks for first time mortgage

Hi all,


After doing a fair bit of research over the past few months, I thought it was about time I signed up on here and asked the questions which have been bothering me!


I'm planning on applying for my first mortgage shortly after Christmas (joint application with my girlfriend), however a string of stupid/careless financial mistakes over the past couple of years are haunting me.


In a nutshell:
I have 4 late payments within the past 12 months (which will drop to 2 after Christmas).
Using 15% of available credit (£2,100.00 limit on CC's)
I have taken out an Aqua CC back in May which I have paid off in full on time ever since.
My credit rating has improved from poor to good in the past 7 months. I am aware nobody see's this but me! However hopefully it gives me a good indication.


We will be putting down a 15% deposit.


I earn £36K per year + £8K in bonuses + £6K car allowance
My girlfriend earns £22K per year


So my questions are as follows:


Will my string of payday loans affect my chances of getting a mortgage?
Will the missed payments have the same affect?
Should I go for the mainstream lenders or apply to the subprime lenders which I will have more of a chance of approval?


I have been worrying about this for sometime and cannot put off the application much longer, however some advice would be greatly appreciated.


Many thanks


Sam

Comments

  • jstiff
    jstiff Posts: 57
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In your situation I would without doubt get a broker.

    I am not sure if any "mainstream" lenders will even acknowledge you with payday loans in the past 12 months I'm afraid.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The payday loans will be a problem with some lenders.

    A broker will guide you through and get you sorted.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog wrote: »
    The payday loans will be a problem with some lenders.

    A broker will guide you through and get you sorted.


    Will a decent broker know which lenders will turn down a application with PDL's in the past 12 months?


    Do you think it will be worth waiting until the loans are past 12 months old?
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes they will
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.