We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Who do cash tips belong to?

Options
2»

Comments

• Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. All of the issues raised are what I encountered while trying to find an answer. There doesn't appear to be anything that covers my friend's situation.
  • Lungboy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. All of the issues raised are what I encountered while trying to find an answer. There doesn't appear to be anything that covers my friend's situation.

IMHO you should name and shame.

Whatever the legalities, if it strikes a chord with social media these things never look good for the company.
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In the industry I worked in you are not allowed to accept tips because it can be seen as a bribe.

I remember just before my 21st birthday a customer tried to give me £20. I politely declined but he angrily stuffed it in my pocket and walked off.

Any instances like that we would take the money to our manager who would put it in the "staff pot" and it was then used for any nights out, parties or trips we wanted to go on.
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    After all if it is the employees income which he/she pays tax on then surely it isn't anything to do with the employer?
    In the situation described the tips are clearly not part of the employees' income as they never see the benefit - they just hand them directly to the company as the company's income.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport