Wanting to make a start of being in control

Options
Hi

Historically I have always been very poor with money management which was highlighted by being declared bankrupt a few years back. We have however managed to rack up almost £29,000 in unsectured debts since we were made bankrupt - not something that I am at all proud of.

I have itemised everything we owe and just want some advice on the next step to take - we both work full time I am on 30k and my wife on 20k.

What would people suggest as a good next step to try and bring some structure to our lives.

Thanks you in advance

G

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it only you that was declared bankrupt and these new debts are in your partner's name, or are the new debts in both your names?

Do you know how you came to be £29k in debt or is it from general living beyond your means?

I think a good starting point would be to get all your bank statements and put together an honest statement of affairs.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

Once you've worked out your income, expenditure and exactly how your debts (and the APRs) are you can then look at how to increase your income and/or decrease your expenditure so that you have more spare money to pay towards the debts.

If you post your SOA on this thread some other MSE users might have suggestions on how to improve it.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Gulliver

Putting up your SOA is definitely the best way to get started. All being well your options should then become much clearer and we can advise you on the pros and cons of each possible route.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure