Worried by British Gas/Resolvecall Debt Collection

Options
Bewilderment
Bewilderment Posts: 13 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 30 November 2014 at 4:33PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi,

I'm new and really worried. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but hopefully someone can help. A landlord issue seems to have led to debt collectors holding me responsible for a bill I didn't know about.

I have lived in a rented flat for three years in which the rent I was paying included the heating bill (this wasn't mentioned in the contract, which was generic, but that was always the arrangement). British Gas bills arrived at the property addressed to my landlord by name and were always left by the tenants in the "post addressed to people who don't live here" pile for him to collect, which he rarely did, so a small unopened pile of British Gas letters was always there. Earlier this year when the landlord transferred the other two flats in the property to electric-only, he said he would probably want me to contribute heating costs for my flat in future and that this would only be a small amount. This was all that was said and I assumed he would later clarify whether he meant only my usage fees (since he said only a small amount I assumed so) and how he wanted me to pay it. My gas usage is almost nonexistant so I wasn't worried about paying for my usage, but I didn't hear anything else from him.

I was puzzled to come home yesterday to find two letters from a debt collection agency addressed to "the occupiers" of the property. One stated that there was an unpaid British Gas bill of £200 and that the addressee should call to resolve the debt immediately, and that failure to do so may result in a visit from a debt collector and a charge for the visit. This was accompanied by a form filled in by hand stating that a debt collector had visited and that an additional charge of £54 had been added to the amount owed for the visit. These letters arrived at the exact same time with no prior contact from the debt collection agency and I was really shocked that they would just visit and charge without giving the recipient any chance to do what the first letter suggested to prevent it.

I had no idea what was going on, and after asking my mother for help (I live alone, but am mildly autistic and have some communication disabilities, so I have difficulty dealing with issues of this nature) she told me to fetch the unopened British Gas letters from the pile. To my surprise, I saw that the recent British Gas letters were addressed to "the occupant" instead of my landlord's name. The tenants upstairs are always the first to the post and had clearly continued to put the British Gas bills in the post pile for non-occupants without noting the addressee change. The British Gas letters were indeed for an unpaid bill and my mother said it looked like the landlord had transferred the British Gas bill from his name to "property occupant" without telling me. The charges on the bills were for both usage and standing boiler fees over six months, hence the accumilated amount. I have sent my landlord a message asking what is going on with the gas bill but haven't yet had a reply.

I can't afford the bill, and while my mother would pay it if I was in trouble, I would feel awful about that. She says she will help me call British Gas tomorrow, but I don't know what to expect. I've never been in debt or dealt with a situation like this before and am shaken and scared to answer my door. After looking up the debt collection agency, Resolvecall, online, it sounds like they are aggressive, and I wouldn't have any idea what to do if they came to my home. If I had been in when they called I would have just been completely bewildered and not had any idea what they were talking about.

Can anyone give me any guidance on what I should do about this? How should I explain the situation to British Gas? Do I definitely have to pay this? Is what my landlord did legal (transferring the bill to me without telling me)? Is what the debt collection agency did legal (charge me for a visit without any prior contact or warning, despite saying that they would only visit if I failed to contact them)? If the debt collectors call again, what should I do?

Thank you in advance for any help, it's really appreciated.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    After looking up the debt collection agency, Resolvecall, online, it sounds like they are aggressive, and I wouldn't have any idea what to do if they came to my home. help, it's really appreciated.

Its quiet simple really, you can ignore them completely.
    They have no more rights than next doors cat, you do not have to speak to them, you do not have to answer the door to them.
    They have no right to "charge you for a visit".

If I put a letter through your door asking for money, would you pay me ?

No, of course you wouldn't, you don't need to pay these clowns either.

First thing tomorrow call the Landlord and find out what is going on, and if you are now liable for the Gas bill.
    Dependant on what he tells you, you should then contact British gas, explain that previously, you have not been responsible for the gas bill.
    If indeed you do need to pay it, BG will accept a payment arrangement from you, if they say deal with the DCA, explain to them you are a vulnerable customer, and insist they take back the debt and allow you to pay it off in affordable instalments.

They will be amicable with you, the only reason this has gone to a DCA is probably because the landlord hasn't paid up.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Bewilderment
    Bewilderment Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2014 at 10:36PM
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I didn't know debt collectors couldn't charge for a visit. Are British Gas likely to remove that charge if I complain or will I have to go to the DCA? I appreciate the advice about British Gas, I really hope they are understanding about the situation.

My landlord hasn't responded yet but I have written a letter to him explaining the situation (since it's complicated and I don't think I would be able to explain it well over the phone) which I will mark urgent and deliver directly to him tomorrow. Though I'm doubtful, it's possible that this could be an error on the part of him or British Gas. The British Gas bill they are trying to collect is for both gas usage and standing boiler fees, and my landlord has never said anything about charging me boiler fees. The boiler fees are much higher than my small gas usage and paying them would be a big increase on my rent, so either my landlord is trying to fiddle me or someone has made a mistake. I really hope it's the latter.

Any further comments are still very welcome.
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Ignore all DCA stuff.

Their letters are just to scare you into paying.

If someone turns up at your door, just laugh at them and tell them to go away.

The fact the letter is addressed to the "current occupier" is just BG's way of being desperate as they don't know who to ask for payment.

DCA's cant charge for visits. These are unlawful - wont bore you with the details of this.

I'd be tempted to put ALL of the letter in an envelpe to post to the landlord asap.

Don't phone BG or the DCA.
  • Bewilderment
    Options
    Ignore all DCA stuff.

Their letters are just to scare you into paying.

If someone turns up at your door, just laugh at them and tell them to go away.

The fact the letter is addressed to the "current occupier" is just BG's way of being desperate as they don't know who to ask for payment.

DCA's cant charge for visits. These are unlawful - wont bore you with the details of this.

I'd be tempted to put ALL of the letter in an envelpe to post to the landlord asap.

Don't phone BG or the DCA.

Thank you, that's all really helpful.

I have now sent everything to my landlord with an letter saying that I assume the unpaid bill is in error and that I am willing to pay for the gas usage aspect of the bill as agreed. I am a little nervous about his response but, having calmed down, am also certain that this occured due to either his error or deliberate attempt to make me responsible for additional charges without telling me.

Thank you to the two posters who offered advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure