How do I find out the office under which I was made bankrupt?

Options
Hi everyone, I am trying in vain to open a business bank account as I have a new venture that I am trying since going BR almost 6 years ago. I have told them that I was automatically discharged and they are insisting on seeing a certificate.

As the whole BR was quite a dark time on my wife and I, we shredded a lot of paperwork as we thought it was all behind us - that, in hindsight, was probably a silly move. Now I have no idea or record of the office which handle my BR, and I understand it is that office I would need to contact to get a notification confirming my discharge.

Can anyone please advise me how I either (a) find out which office handled my BR, or (b) if there is another way to get confirmation of my discharge, ideally I want to keep the cost as low as possible!

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/technicalmanual/Ch13-24/Chapter22/part1/Part%201.htm
    22.7EA Request by former bankrupt for a certificate of discharge (updated October 2013)

Where a bankrupt is discharged following the early discharge process they will receive confirmation of the date of their discharge on Form EDNOT (see paragraph 22.11EA in part 2) . Bankruptcy orders made on or after 1 October 2013 are not eligible for early discharge (see Part 2).

Where a bankrupt obtains an automatic discharge by expiration of time, no order of discharge is made by the court. If evidence of discharge is requested by a former bankrupt this should be provided in the form of a simple letter confirming the date of discharge according to the official receivers records. Where there is a trustee other than the official receiver in office the letter should also address the unlikely event of the trustee making application to the court for the suspension of the bankrupt’s discharge without the knowledge of the official receiver. Two versions of a letter have been produced to cover the eventualities outlined above and are available through Document Production under the reference DENQ. The correct version of the letter will be produced automatically provided the trustee information has been entered correctly on ISCIS.

From 24 June 2013 the Insolvency Enquiry Line (IEL) team will issue letters confirming the date of discharge on behalf of all official receivers’ and LTADT offices.

The IEL team will deal with all requests for a letter confirming the date of discharge and enquiries from the Courts requesting confirmation of the date of discharge. In all cases ISCIS or Legacy Corporate Reports will be used to ascertain the date of discharge. If the information cannot be found using these tools the request will be referred back to the owning office to investigate. Cases where it is discovered a suspension of discharge is in place will be referred back to the owning office to deal with.

When an office receives a written request for a letter confirming the date of discharge via an email, fax or scanned letter it should be forwarded to the IEL’s discharge inbox at [EMAIL="discharge.queries@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk"]discharge.queries@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL] . The IEL team will monitor this inbox on a daily basis.

When an office receives a request via the telephone the enquirer should be asked to email their request to [EMAIL="discharge.queries@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk"]discharge.queries@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL] . Please ask the enquirer to provide details of their full name, date of birth, current and previous address, national insurance number and court reference number. If the enquirer does not have access to email they should be advised to call the IEL on 0845 6029848 (callers should select option 3 followed by option 5).

Responses will be sent electronically where possible, with the discharge letter attached. If no email address is provided the letter will be posted 2nd class. The discharge letter emailed out is a Pdf copy, as this format prevents electronic amendments being made. A copy of the letter will be filed in the case file in Wisdom.

If the standard letter is insufficient for the former bankrupt’s requirements they may apply to the court for the issue of a certificate of discharge, which will indicate the date from which the discharge is effective.

Note: [R6.220(1)] [Form 6.77 - Certificate of discharge]
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Hopeful1968
    Options
    As Fermi stated above. If you still need your Court number though:

It would be the Court nearest to where you lived at the time the Order was made against you.

Then look it up here and it will tell you which office dealt with it. They should be able to give you your Court reference number:

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/rebrandedorsearch/
    I worked as a case clerk for the IS for a number of years. Any views expressed are my own. If your query is urgent, please contact the OR or LTADT dealing with your case directly.
    Always receive expert advice before going bankrupt.
  • newbizstarter
    Options
    Thanks fermi, I promise I had searched online and found some information on the insolvency.gov.uk website but not that nugget, very helpful!

I will send an email and if that doesn't work I will try your suggestion Hopeful1968.

I really appreciate your help, thanks again ��
  • rock_queen
    Options
    Just the info I was looking for, thank you OP for posting the question!

So in order to get the letter of discharge do I then contact the IEL team directly?

Thanks
    :T Looking forward to the future :T
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    You can do, yes.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure