deceased husband s mortgage

My husband died over five years ago the mortgage account was solely in his name and there was no life cover. Topaz plc would not allow me to register my name at the land registry as owner of the house as inherited by me via a will. However they allowed me to continue to make payments on the account. Due to personal circumstances involving an abusive relationship with my son I at to leave home for a while and was unable to pay the mortgage. They agreed a repayment plan to pay off the arrears which I am now doing. However today I received a letter saying they are to take legal action against me for the repayment of the mortgage. Although there was no life cover a property my mum lives in as enough equity to pay off my mortgage..but she has a lifetime tenant clause in the property..on her death the monies from the property will pay off my house. Can they repossess the house my now under my husband s estate even though I am able to pay the mortgage. I am unable to get a mortgage.

Replies

• chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    if in arears they can, bit complex for a forum take legal advice
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    fl0r1da wrote: »
    However they allowed me to continue to make payments on the account.

While you deal with the settlement of estate. While you have been passed title to the property. The lenders charge over the property needs to be settled. I imagine that this is behind the lenders course of action. The arrears acting as a trigger point for reminding them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals