Washing MAchine needs - wait for offers?

Washing machine had just packed in - should I wait till black friday/cyber monday? I'm on a tight budget, and thinking it will only be the expensive ones that will get reduced???

Looking at spending approx £150

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 November 2014 at 11:25AM
    No harm to wait for another week...
    BTW, I don't think I've seen washing machine for £150. I think the cheap one are usually around £200...
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Be careful what you look for; my mother bought a washing machine- cheapest in the shop after her 10 year old Bosch machine died. She got a Hotpoint for a fraction below £200 and it was that noisy that she was restricted to when she could use it because the neighbours found their kitchen surfaces would shake when she used it! It was so noisy that even the hoover couldn't be heard over it and it used to like to walk around the kitchen a few cm a time which over a week would mean she'd need help moving it back to it's original position. It broke within 5 years and in which time she'd saved up for a part payment on another Bosch (the rest on credit).

If you can at all, go research some of the machines via a copy of Which in your local library and look for the features which are important to you (unless you want to take up a months subscription for the £1 or so required for the first month- just remember to cancel!)

I would also suggest seeing if you can get any sort of 0% credit card to pay off if you do see a more expensive model you feel suits you- just make sure to pay it off.
    If this isn't possible (eg credit score) there may be a chance you can apply for things like a community loan if you are in receipt of any means tested benefits or you may be able to get some sort of cashback offer to pay back something if you are able to borrow from any friends and family if you look on websites like Quidco or TCB even some of the multi-branded sites like AO or Currys or John Lewis.

You need to keep an eye on specific models you want if your looking through the sales though because some of the not-so-good machines can end up being sold for what look like decent offers but are far from it if you test out the machine yourself.
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I read on UKWhitegoods that Hotpoint are no longer the esteemed UK brand of old, they are basically rebadged Indesits (ie, not that good).

I posted a good buy on a Bosch on Hotukdeals the other day, though it's twice your budget! Sometimes the basic Bekos go down to £140 or so on Argos or Currys, not been that price for a while, though. Of course they won't be the greatest build or reliability.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/beko-wmp601w-washing-machine-139-99-curry-s-2033597 (£199.99 now). Might be worth keeping an eye on.
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 November 2014 at 9:36PM
    This website may help too: http://www.cheapwashingmachinesreviewed.co.uk/

Hm, a lot listed on there are no longer available, but this one gets good reviews, and is still online (usually around £180): http://direct.asda.com/Russell-Hobbs-RH1042SW-5kg-1000-Spin-Freestanding-Washing-Machine/001573437,default,pd.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure