Fighting the gambling demons

As the title of this diary indicates, I'm a gambling addict. I've finally admitted it to myself and have today sought help. Online slots are the problem for me and the need to play on them has been taking over my life. Sometimes I won, but most of the time I didn't. As a result, my finances are a shambles. I'm also spending far too much time gambling (often staying up until stupid-o-clock in the morning) and things like housework are getting neglected because of this.

I'm hoping this diary will help me to get myself free of this addiction and get my finances straightened up too. Tomorrow is day one and I really want to succeed. All of my accounts have been closed and I'm going to try and limit my time online by doing other stuff instead (reading, watching movies etc), anything to take my mind off wanting to gamble.

I know it's not going to be easy, but I need to do this as it is taking over my life.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Why is tomorrow day one?
  • Bantex wrote: »
    Why is tomorrow day one?

Because I've already been stupid enough to gamble today. No more though - the accounts are well and truly closed. Tomorrow will be day one as it will be my first full day free of gambling.
  • I wish you all the best hedgehogger and well done for taking the steps that you have done.
    Training Loan - £1300.00/£1,500 (13%), Halifax CC 300.00/£925.00 (31%), OS Weight loss 7.0lb/24lb (29%), Extra inc Nov £220, Dec £532.00, Jan Ex Inc target £200.00. Training hours 10/100 10%
    "Health is the greatest possession. Contentment the greatest treasure. Confidence the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy". Lao Tse

• Good luck, have a look at posts by a member called Monkeyballs - he's doing a great job pulling himself out of gambling :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good luck hedgehogger!

I hope day one is going well.
    Starting again..
  • Slots have a 83% payout (AWPM's in pubs etc anyway,, amusement with prize machines)

You pay in £100 and they will give you back £83

You will always loose if you do it long term

You are right to get help and quit as its fruitless to carry on.

I can not provide any advice for you , sorry , apart from knowledge that the Owner Wins and the Players Loose.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Apologies I do have a limp suggestion to add to your diversionary tactics:-

I would suggest waling, its free, no special equipment needed that you don't already have.

Great for that sorting out your mind bit, thinking ahead and mulling/bouncing ideas around. Also it can be as gentle or enefgetic as you want.

If you get into it get yourself a Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 of your local area (Dash4it website are god value)(if you can stretch to it buy the waterproof (called Explorer active laminated) version as they are longer lasting & tough)

To help you learn how to use them try ordnance survey website and search for 'maps made easy peasy' & 'map reading - beginners and advanced.

So you learn a new skill and improve your health at the same time.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I know where you are coming from as the addiction gripped me as well.

You have done the right thing in closing your accounts, however this does not stop you opening new ones. You should put some software on your computer that blocks gambling sites, I use k9. You have to download it then install it onto your computer then set up the sites that you want blocked, in your case gambing and then if you can have someone else put the password in for you. If not create a random one with letters and number that you won't remember.

I am coming up to 2 years without a bet so if you want to ask me anything I will try my best to help you out.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• All the best - hope it works out for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure