PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    You might still get some water in during bad winds - I roll up old towels and lay them along the windowsill and that fixes it. My house faces south at the front and north at the back so the wind come sideways- on here.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,170 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Large amount of logs today which I had noticed on the path to the church in our village. Someone was inside so I asked if it was OK for me to take them and they helped me lift them into the car!

Have washed all gloves and hats.

Staircase (outside wall) is in the middle of being replastered (plaster board so hopefully better insulated than the old muck and horsehair). Could not do insulation behind as there is not enough room between the wall and the stairs. Under the stairs - more room so 27mm insulated plasterboard on battens!

Cooked some beetroot which I *might* pickle but also opened a large jar that I pickled 2 years ago so I obviously don't eat it very fast.

Freezer full of raspberries and rhubarb but no blackberries as they aren't ripe here yet.

Allotment doing OK with spring cabbages growing now we've made hen guards.
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I need to prepare for winter and save some money on heating etc.
    We are tight for money this month but in August I'm hoping to buy some blankets on eBay to pop on the beds for winter. I'd like to get a door curtain for the front door too.
    We have got some free wood for the fire but going to buy some more end of August.
    My only worry is that if we are heating the living room with the fire and using blankets and hot water bottles in the bedrooms, will the house get a damp problem if we aren't using the heating as much? I have a dehumidifier I could put on, but would that be just as expensive as putting the heating on??
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I made some elderberry syrup, after finding out that it's got solid modern scientific evidence as a virus-killer, especially for respiratory things, because I used to be plagued by head-colds, persistent coughs and horrible sore throat. I keep a 500ml bottle in the fridge and have a teaspoon morning and evening at the very earliest signs of not feeling right in any cold-y way, and it seems to be doing the trick. The only cold I've had in the last year has been a summer cold that caught me off-guard! Also, I've given smaller amounts to various friends/family who couldn't shake a respiratory thing and it seems to have helped them too (I certainly have several 'orders' for some while I'm making it this year!)

The elderberries are ripe in earlyish September in Britain usually. I've always made elderberry cheese (like a thick jelly or a sieved jam, no bits in), but will always make elderberry syrup from now on!

OH and I went for a walk to see what we could forage in our new area and we saw loads of elderberries. Most weren't ripe, but some were reddish and drooping. I wondered what we could do with them and then I saw your post! As a primary school teacher, I'm always picking up colds etc so elderberry syrup would be great for me to have in. :j
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    emmwri wrote: »
    We are tight for money this month but in August I'm hoping to buy some blankets on eBay to pop on the beds for winter. I'd like to get a door curtain for the front door too.
    We have got some free wood for the fire but going to buy some more end of August.
    My only worry is that if we are heating the living room with the fire and using blankets and hot water bottles in the bedrooms, will the house get a damp problem if we aren't using the heating as much? I have a dehumidifier I could put on, but would that be just as expensive as putting the heating on??

I don't know how the running of a dehumidifier compares to running heating - we're in a modern mid terrace with the only heating being the gas central heating (no chance of a woodstove :-( ) but when my mini tumble dryer broke, I replaced it with the dehumidifier & even with running it more than the dryer, costs didn't go up - I think because it warms the air so helped keep the house warmer as well as drier.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • LadyhavershamLost
    Options
    Finally have Tax credits renewal sorted and a small unexpected lump sum payment so have some time looking for a thermal door curtain for my open plan lounge. Found a lovely one for £22 ish... then found another seller selling identical item for less than half price with free delivery. Happy days.

Landlord has just paid to replace slats on vertical blinds in lounge - the old ones were vile and filthy. Have chosen blackout ones which will make it lovely and cosy. Hopefully.

Have also switched energy suppliers recently. Am seeing savings already and my credit building up - which is reassuring!

Will spend time over the next few weeks working out what needs to be done and when to do it!
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The winter checklist at the beginning of the thread is really useful.

HTH :) x
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    emmwri wrote: »

We rarely have our upstairs rads on (aside from the bathroom one), they're all turned off via thermostats. I do run a dehumidifier for half an hour or so after showers/baths and make sure the windows are open at all times (on the safety catch mostly) but always fully open for a few minutes each day, back and front to let the air flow - whilst the window are open I air the beds as they're a huge cause of damp in bedrooms.

Air flow is key!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    Hope you don't mind me popping by.
    For those with a glut of beetroot. I used to work in a restaurant that did boiled beetroot ( cut up in small chunks) with a big splodge of stewed apple on top. Went lovely on a roast dinner and was very popular.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    fuddle,

As well as the useful advice already given, I would check your boots/shoes and make sure you have decent footwear for wet cold weather, and enough to swap about so they have a chance to air properly. Fungal infections of your tootsies do not improve the Winter Experience! :)

Also check decent socks and knit more or bribe your nearest knitter :)

Finally, remember a decent waterproof jacket is one thing but in persistent rain you also want good scarves and gloves to stop the gaps.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback