MoneySaving Poll: Should a man take paternity leave instead of a woman?

Options
Poll started 25 November 2014

Should a man take paternity leave instead of a woman?

From next April, maternity leave can be transferred to men for the first time (or the other partner in a gay relationship). We thought we’d test how desired this actually is.

So please choose the option closest to how you would WANT to do things in your case.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    I don't want any of the options - I'd like to have majority myself but give my OH chance to take a chunk as well, maybe 9m to 3m or something like that.
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • davyburns
    Options
    Has anyone thought of the impact on employers? Most employers are small businesses who cant run effectively with people short. I know employers who wont employ women under 40 for the fear of this impacting on there business. if this happened, employers are more likely to only employ older people from either sex
  • sarahlondon24
    sarahlondon24 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2014 at 2:02PM
    Options
    davyburns wrote: »
    Has anyone thought of the impact on employers? Most employers are small businesses who cant run effectively with people short. I know employers who wont employ women under 40 for the fear of this impacting on there business. if this happened, employers are more likely to only employ older people from either sex

Isn't that illegal? I thought this counted as age & sex discrimination.

The option for me wasn't there, I agree with the earlier poster who said (as a woman) they'd take the majority of the time maybe a 3/4 to 1/4 split.
  • taram_2
    taram_2 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a woman, I'd let my partner take the majority, I am terrible with babies and he coos over every baby within miles! Plus even if I wanted to stay home, my career doesn't really allow it, but his does, half his office is actually out at the moment on maternity leave.
  • *~Zephyr~*
    Options
    Isn't that illegal? I thought this counted as age & sex discrimination.

Openly discriminating i.e. stating people over the age of 40 only, is illegal, yes. But discrimination of this type can and does happen covertly.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The woman after giving birth does need some time of for her body to recover, after that it should be for the couple to decide themselves how to split it.
    Zebras rock
  • Bella56
    Bella56 Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    There is no "should" for this situation. Each couple will do what works for them; some women have careers that they want to get right back to, some want to stay at home, some men want to be the carers. It is a very personal choice and it is good that men will have the option too.
    Debts 2004: £6000..............................................Aug 2007: £0!!!!
  • Gingerscot_2
    Options
    Another poll that ignores single people. I would have liked a box "I'm single and will have to cover for these skivers". :)
  • nennyrainbow
    Options
    Health officials recommend breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months. How does a man do that?
  • tracyn
    tracyn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Because the overall amount of leave and paid entitlement isn't increasing, the only cost to small businesses or indeed any employer is removing their ability to systematically discriminate against women of child bearing age.

That is a GREAT thing.

Will they only hire men over 40-something as a result? That would be very daft of them, as men can have children until the day they die.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure