Christmas on a budget

Options
2»

Comments

• duloch
    duloch Posts: 396 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I haven't bought it yet, there are two that go with it, a green tractor & a logging type of tractor, they are £15 each.

Thank you, I'll have another look.
  • carlislelass
    Options
    I had a voucher from Poundland for a Thorntons model for £3, got a boxed chocolate reindeer which would have cost £8
  • pinknfluffy28
    Options
    My biggest "budget" tip is that I shop year round for Christmas.
    I make all lists for the following year, on boxing day night. The only gifts I don't pre-decide are Santa's gifts for my 2 daughters (this allows for me to get a couple of things off their wish list November time - I put £100 into a savings account for this), and I also put £50 aside to get dh something he "needs"!

I use amazon a lot, I add items to a wish list boxing day night, and make a note of what I'm willing to pay for them. I then check throughout the year and wait for the price to drop to my budget - 90% of the items in my wish list are usually purchased for less than half price!

Christmas is a big thing for us, and I do go mad, but I never go over budget. I have many nephews & neices, friends kids, plus ample adults to buy for. This year I aim to come in under £800 for all gifts, decs, stocking fillers, elf props, and food. Next year I want to be under £600, and to stick to that each year after.

My best buys this year include:
    Lego friends stables from amazon. Rrp £49.99 I paid £22.99
    Kindle fire HD from amazon rrp £119 I paid £69.99
    Battery operated salt & pepper mills for dh - tkmaxx - rrp £34.99 I paid £12.99
    It's not about getting what you want, It's about wanting what you get.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also shop all year round.

I have some cufflinks for Dad that were late arriving for fathers day so those are a christmas present, rather than an additional fathers day present on top of the replacement item I bought.

I only buy for immediate family, my cousin and my OH so I spend all year listening to what they want or need, and buy based on that rather than what I think they want.

I wanted to get my parents a little more than I had already but not spend much so I'm going to go book hunting in the charity shops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure