CII Exams - R06, is a re-mark request worth it?

Options
Hi all,

I sat cii R06 exam in October and have got my result this morning, failed by one mark :sad:

I have phoned up and paid the £81 fee to have it re-marked. Does anybody have any experience of this? Would be great to know if anybody has passed having their paper re-marked and also how long the re-mark took?

They have said they will email me the outcome "within 35 days" but I need to be level 4 qualified asap so keen to know if anyone has experience of this and how long it took so I know how to proceed.

I also sat J02 (the Trusts exam) the day before R06; results aren't for a few weeks yet but feeling panicky as I actually felt R06 went a bit better than J02!

Happy Friday everyone :o:o:o:o:o
big bad debts: Gone!
[Mortgage: [STRIKE]£152,864 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£150,805[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE] £145,000 [/STRIKE][/STRIKE]:eek: £215,000:eek:

Comments

• RuthnJasper
    Options
    I used to work in an exams office. On occasion it is worth a re-mark as, when I was involved in it (up to 2007), some grades (but not all) did change and, if there was a change given to the grade, you didn't have to pay the fee.

Do be aware, however, that grades can be marked down, as well as up, and if this happens, you have to accept the lower grade and cannot 'cancel' the re-mark.

Best wishes. x
  • crazycatlady1984
    Options
    Thank you RuthnJasper. I did consider the fact that it might be marked down, but I guess once you've already failed it doesn't really matter, lol. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen though, that'd make me feel even worse! :o
    [Mortgage: [STRIKE]£152,864 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£150,805[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE] £145,000 [/STRIKE][/STRIKE]:eek: £215,000:eek:
  • PhilBlimp
    Options
    Hi, I'm the same only I've failed by 15 marks... Having spent the full 3 hrs and feeling very confident.

I've Been through the questions again and knowing exactly what I've put in the exam I've paid the £81 (if nothing else it's £81 to find out exactly where and hopefully why I was wrong). My hope is that as I didn't pay the big bucks for the answers before the exam, mine (although right) are not the standard answers so have been missed by the examiner in their 15 mins to quickly scan over the paper.

Fingers crossed we all pass as the 35 working days will take us past the next sitting in January...

All the best.

Phil
  • crazycatlady1984
    Options
    Hey Phil!

Aaargh, sorry to hear you've failed as well. Do you have much experience with CII exams? I did IFS level 3 about 5 years ago, this was my first CII exam (I did the CII paraplanning module (J09) but it was essays and I passed them fine) along with the Trusts one for which I haven't had my result yet.

Regarding the sitting in January - I think (although I will need to check) that you can book it and then if you pass on remarking they will refund you for the resit. Regarding the 35 days, I don't think they have specified working days, so I had thought the 35 days would be 26th December, but hoping that I get it sooner!

Do you know what questions you did badly on? One of the ones I did badly on was the child benefit one, which I was really surprised at - how can they maximise their entitlement to child benefit? He has to make pension contributions to bring his salary down to below the threshold (£60K? I cant remember). I thought this was the only way to do this, and I did have one of the suggested answers that you pay for and it also said this, so I am surprised it was wrong / not enough. What other way would there be do to this? Surely theyre not suggesting "he takes a lower paid job" or something as an answer??

Fingers crossed for you!
  • starrystarry
    Options
    I've no personal experience of remarks as all the CII exams I've done I passed (though I scraped through by one mark in my last exam) but I've known a few people who asked for remarks and none of them got a positive result. Having said that, I don't think any of those had failed by such a small margin as 1 mark so I'd say it's definitely worth a punt for you catlady. I'd probably start studying again though just in case.
  • PhilBlimp
    Options
    Hi,

I've been with the cii since uni, but RO6 was my first written one. I got less than 50% on 1b 1d 1e 1f 2a 2d 2g. I've worked in pension admin since uni too, hence the over confidence with these questions...
    I too said about increasing pension contributions and also moving the jointly held investments over to the guys wife.
    I think we must have spoken to 2 different guys/gals at the cii. Mine definitely said Up to 35 working days as I questioned the latest that the Jan sitting could be booked, but as I don't need the level 4 i just want it, I can always wait until April.
    I wish you every luck for your re-Mark, you must have an extra Mark there somewhere.

Phil
  • crazycatlady1984
    Options
    Hey Phil,

I called the CII this morning to check and they have confirmed it is 35days, not 35 working days; so that should take us up to 26th December. The date I would be aiming to resit (if needed) is 19th Jan so I will probs book it in a few weeks and they will refund me if I pass on re-marking. They said if I ring again in a few weeks they can give me an update on timescale but I might hear from them in as little as a few weeks.

I also failed on question 1D- think that was the state benefit one for the wife? Not surprised by that, I was totally unprepared for that one!

Good luck for your re-marking!
  • crazycatlady1984
    Options
    Hey Phil,

Any word on your re-marking yet?

I got an email on Friday - my mark has not changed.

Was pretty shocked to see the "model" answers - thought some of them were a load of nonsense, marks for putting in "Attitude to Risk" etc when it didn't answer the question that was being asked. Having come from a university background of "always make sure you answer what is being asked" I found that quite difficult to take, but oh well, lesson learned I guess, will just have to play by their rules next time.

Wasn't happy though as for the pension consolidation question, I only got one mark, but I put down one of the points that the examiner has under the category of "correct answers that I omitted". Clearly remember writing it though, as that and the other one were the two that came immediately into my head. They wont let me see my question paper, so not a lot I can do about it!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How far off are you?
    I always prefer to really screw it up than fail by 1 mark.

If you are miles out then I dont see the point, if you are 1 or 2 marks then its worth a bash I suppose.

I have not done that particular exam, I stopped after RO1 and RO5 - decided im happier doing mortgages than I am revising :P
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • crazycatlady1984
    Options
    HI ACG,

I was one mark off. Requested a re-mark, it came back saying my mark had not changed, but upon reading the examiners comments, for one of the questions, I put (at least) two points, but I have only been given a mark for one, with the other answer I wrote being included as "correct answers that you omitted".

Not really sure what to make of that, as I am 100% I wrote it; but how could two different examiners have missed it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure