We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'Why David Cameron writing for MoneySavingExpert is not 'biased' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I'm not sure likening yourselves to the papers is the way to go. I suspect the anger being expressed ( which I have not read so don't know) pertains to the fact that we are surrounded by political agenda pushing and people hope MSE is above that. This is clearly not the case. The public are fully aware of the implications of pension reform, hence the reason why many people are making their own provision for old age.

Bexster :)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 19 November 2014 at 2:54PM
    Options
    I'm about as far from a fan of Cameron and the Conservatives as you can get, but honestly I don't have a problem with this.

I have a BIG problem with him and his party, and even their policy in this area, but not for allowing this article/blog in particular.

It's been done in a cards on the table way with a right of reply, and context explained.

And it's stimulated debate, which in itself is healthy.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    David Cameron is 'bonkers', 'biased' and 'showing his true colours'

Hats off to MSE for allowing him to prove it on this site :)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »

That is another way of looking at it. :rotfl:
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2014 at 3:21PM
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »

And it's not a blog post, it is published as a news story.

As MSE says it has approached politicians for previous articles, I don't believe David Cameron asked to write for MSE, as claimed. I don't believe David Cameron wrote the article. Martin Lewis did write his wonderful title, and his was a blog post!
  • canterswest
    Options
    https://mobile.twitter.com/HelenKnapman/status/535002135440928768

MSE contacts Labour, needs some political cover quick.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some time ago MSE here mentioned a survey about savings for retirement. I gave a detailed reply outlining the reasons why current pension rules forced me not to use pensions for aspects of retirement planning because I couldn't get access to the money at a suitable rate. That survey was cited in the reasons why documents for the new pension plans, which effectively eliminate the reasons I gave not to use pensions.

A degree of political engagement is useful.
  • uneasy
    Options
    So for those having a go, I think perhaps you needed to have done your research first.
    I think it's safe to assume a nerve has been well & truly hit ;)
    Our site’s stance is strictly apolitical.
    That may well be the aspiration, but clearly, the publishing of such an article that has been perceived by many readers not only here, but on twitter too, as supporting a specific political party, especially on the eve of a very important by-election was perhaps not the wisest editorial decision.

That is something that hopefully Martin will take time out later to reflect upon, once he has calmed down.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Just state you're getting paid a very healthy amount for MP guest posts already
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure