MSE News: Wonga keeps 18,000 customers waiting for compensation

in Loans
7 replies 2.8K views
Of the 45,000 customers who got fake lawyer letters from payday lender Wonga, 18,000 have yet to get compensation offers...
Read the full story:

Wonga keeps 18,000 customers waiting for compensation

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• How dare they not have systems, staff, and facilities in place to deal with this vast and unforeseen administrative task of letting people off with their loans as soon as people demand?

Customers who are being given money should be outraged and, er, not accept it, or something.

I do hope that they will circulate each and every name of each and every customer who received compensation, just in case they "forget" that they cannot afford loans in the future, and accidentally apply for one again without a major change in circumstances.

After all, we do want to make sure that the public are protected, don't we?
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    James_B. wrote: »
    How dare they not have systems, staff, and facilities in place to deal with this vast and unforeseen administrative task of letting people off with their loans as soon as people demand?

Customers who are being given money should be outraged and, er, not accept it, or something.

I do hope that they will circulate each and every name of each and every customer who received compensation, just in case they "forget" that they cannot afford loans in the future, and accidentally apply for one again without a major change in circumstances.

Post of the month ;)

The whole compensation culture is beyond ridiculous.
  • Could it be that a significant proportion of those 18,000 have had their debt completely written off? Surely they aren't expected to write off peoples debts and then compensate them for a dodgy solicitor letter too are they?
    James_B. wrote: »
    How dare they not have systems, staff, and facilities in place to deal with this vast and unforeseen administrative task of letting people off with their loans as soon as people demand?

You've got your Wonga stories mixed up :) this is compensation for sending bogus solicitor letters while you're talking about people having their debts written off...

Personally I'm puzzled about the timescales, complaints need to be investigated and a final response provided within 90 days while Wonga need to establish who was sent a letter and then contact them to confirm they are to be "included" and then again to make an offer and all in two thirds of the time of a complaint?

I also wonder what would happen if Wonga were to announce a review of all applications made in the last year as a measure of fraud prevention with applicants who are believed to have given fraudulent information on their application to be contacted to provide evidence?

MB
    StepChange DMP - £8092.13
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7: # 257 2014 is my first year :)
    Roadkill Rebels 2014: # 65 £34.83 PAD 2014 - £340.17
  • I got advised by Wonga in June I was one of the affected customers for the dodgy solicitors letters. I am 6 months further on now and STILL havent received a redress letter! I have contacted them several times to be advised it was still being investigated & I have also contacted FCA, whom directed me to FOS. The latest update was they expect me to receive a redress letter in January & offered £50.00 compensation for the delay.

It would be good to know if anyone has actually received a refund?

I believe the reason for the delay is simply;

1. FCA failed to put time restrictions on the redress programme for Wonga to adhere to.
    2. Wonga have very little staff dealing with the programme.
    3. They cant obtain all the relevant details in order to calculate the correct process.

To be honest not expecting to receive anything in January, however I will pursue the matter with FOS if I dont receive anything.
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30538162
    Payday lender Wonga will refund the fees and interest charged to a customer whose outstanding loan has already been written off.

In October, Wonga said it would cancel the debts of 330,000 customers after an investigation showed it had not carried out appropriate affordability checks.

One of those customers whose debt was written off has successfully claimed for charges to be cancelled too.
    Ami Jarman, 24, from Hertfordshire, took her case to the ombudsman.

She had initially borrowed £100 to pay for a new car tyre but her debts soon spiralled.

"I was diagnosed with depression, which ultimately affected my work life, and my personal life," she said.

She was given loans worth £9,000 over four years, but said she ended up having to pay more than £11,000 after fees and charges were added.

"I should have been more aware of the fees and interest, but I also feel payday lenders should take more responsibility for themselves, and should not have lent me this money," she told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours.

'Relief'

Although her existing debt was wiped out by Wonga, she decided to take her case about fees to the Financial Ombudsman Service after calculating how much money she had repaid.

Wonga

Caroline Wayman, chief Executive of the Financial Ombudsman Service, who looked into Ms Jarman's case said there had been unfair treatment.

"Wonga are obliged to make sure loans are affordable, and that people are aware of the fees and charges," she said.

"The Financial Conduct Authority [regulator] has been taking steps to improve this area of the lending industry, but more work needs to be done."

The ombudsman's ruling has come as a relief to Ms Jarman, a hospital care assistant, who had been borrowing from the company and many other payday lenders since 2010.

"I've got about £4,000 still outstanding with other lenders, but since hearing from the ombudsman it feels like a huge weight off my shoulders," she said.

"It is not just for me. It shows that other people who possibly have more debt than me can get their money back too."

A Wonga spokesman said discussions with the Financial Ombudsman Service about Ms Jarman's case, and how much would be repaid, were ongoing.

"We are keen that any individual in difficulty contacts us and we will do everything to resolve the situation," he said.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • edited 3 September 2015 at 8:10AM
    danijordi1988_2danijordi1988_2 Forumite
    5 Posts
    edited 3 September 2015 at 8:10AM
    Morning Everyone,

Has anyone actually declines there compensation and had a good outcome.

I was one of the customers affects and up to now it has been nothing but a farse!

I sent all the paperwork back as soon as it came, 2 months later and about 7/8 phone calls and it turned out they hadn't received it....

So I had to wait the 3 weeks for all the letters to come again and once again send all the paperwork back - which I didn't use the prepaid envelope (and it went recorded).

Phoned yesterday and they said my case is being looked at now and I should have an outcome within 6 weeks. I suppose I will have to chase them!

Just wondering whether anyone has actually had a successful outcome on the refusal of the 50gbp compensation offer - haven't stumbled across anything online yet where anyone talks of their case?

Would just like to add that I got the loan to move - as at the time where was terrible antisocial behaviour where I was living and my house had 3 attempts at people breaking in before I made the decision to move. I very much did pay the money back and about 4 times the amount and even got these letters when I was paying it!!!

Thanks, :mad:
    :j Reduce Remaining Debt with DMP StepChange :j

Virgin £62, NEXT £102, RBS £625, Scottish Power £295 & Motormile £1491
  • a good outcome such as?

what were your out of pocket expenses that require additional compensating for? what pain or hardship have you suffered because f this letter, that people don't really take any notice of anyway?

I was offered the 50 quid, and though, what the hell, a free money, ill take that.

or are you one of these precious little flowers that's now leading a life of misery because you opened a letter from a solicitor.

extra compensation my bottom, there's no possible reason any more would be justified, even the 50 quid was extremely generous.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals