PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Indian dips for poppadoms

Options
My very favourite part to an Indian meal is the poppadoms and chutneys and dips.
I can make the raita with cucumber, mint sauce and yoghurt. I also make a salad with red onion, tomatoes and coriander leaf. Then I resort to opening jars of mango chutney.
As the weekend is approaching and Saturday is the best night for a curry does anyone have any other ideas for quick, simple and cheap ideas or recipes for accompaniments?
Thank you

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw a lemon pickle on Jamie Olivers programme the other day, could't believe how easy it looked. So I have the lemon in the fridge purchased for it, but can't vouch for its success.

It's on this page here:
    http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/16489/curry-rogan-josh-fluffy-rice-carrot-salad-poppadoms-flatbread-beer
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    If you can make chutney, you'll be able to make any kind of poppadom dip.
    Use anything you fancy but cut it chunky and make sure you use plenty of coriander (seed or ground) and cumin if you like it. Tamarind gives a fruity sourness and fenugreek seeds taste of authentic curry.
    You could also make a chilli jelly if you like it hot - with sugar, vinegar and chillies.
    All of these jar well if you have curry regularly.
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Minimalist
    Options
    I love South Indian food, especially masala dosas - my favourite chutney is the coconut and coriander one that goes with dosas. There are lots of recipes online, such as:
    http://foodsandflavorsbyshilpi.com/coconut-chutney-recipe-vegetarian-recipe/

I also love the hot sambar sauce that you get as well - there's a good recipe from Prashad, one of my favourite restaurants here: http://www.prashad.co.uk/blog/stay-snug-bowl-sambar-autumn

For a very simple, quick dip I sometimes just mix some ground cumin with yoghurt, to taste (about a teaspoon to a cup of yoghurt)

Getting hungry just thinking about it - a curry night could be in order here too!
    Not buying it! 2015

:) purely aspirational username - still wading through clutter and striving to cut back on unnecessary stuff...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure