We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Realistic mortgage expectations

Hi all,

I am utterly new to mortgages and the lingo, having just lived rent-free with my dad until now. But very recently I have been considering making the jump and investing in my own home.

I am 37, earn 36k/year, plus minor extras (e.g.: overtime/bonuses which might net me an additional £1k/year maybe), I have zero debts, no loans and have about £24k of my own saved funds which I want to use as a deposit on a house. This isn't all my savings, but a considerable chunk of it.)

I've only ever had two loans in my life, over 10 years ago, at £700 and £2100 each, and paid them off on time without any issue or incident. I have no dependants or financial commitments (unless a £27/mnth contract phone is considered as such!).

A work colleague suggested checking my credit score on noddle, so I did that and got a 5/5 rating.

I have thrown some information into various online mortgage calculators and have been advised that a mortgage of between £100k and £198k could be possible (so not overly helpful!).

I am eager to start realistically looking at some properties but really have no clue what price range I should be looking at. I have requested a "mortgage promise" from Halifax, but I don't know how long these take to process (some sources state up to two weeks).

So, my very general question is, based on the information I have divulged, what would seem a reasonable/typical amount a lender would likely offer me? What price range should I be setting my sights around?

Thank you kindly.

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Generally lenders would look to lend between 4-5x your income.
    As you have no debts and im assuming no dependents I would imagine you can get closer to the 5x possibly a touch more.

    So I would be looking at around £175k
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thank you ACG. Some properties that had already caught my eye were around £160k, so that's very encouraging.

    Much appreciated.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You should be using a mortgage broker to assist you, or you will trip up.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    amnblog wrote: »
    You should be using a mortgage broker to assist you, or you will trip up.
    Thats a bit harsh. Im sure many people apply for their own mortgages and dont trip up - even first time buyers.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I am more concerned with our original poster than the ones who went direct and got lucky ACG.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    You make it sound like everyone will either get declined or make a meal of it unless they use a broker or get lucky.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Some will, some won't. That is why we are in business.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.