We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BTL / Share of Freehold

I am thinking of buying a flat that is share of freehold (I have confirmed that each flat has a formal leasehold, but all owners have a share of the freehold company, and the paperwork on the lease etc looks kosher)

I am getting confused as I am being told that for BTL properties, freehold flats are not allowed. Am I right in saying that is a situation that is not above, i.e. no leasehold and the flat owns the freehold etc?

Comments

  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    It is not a freehold flat if it has a separate lease.

    Having a share of the freehold via shares in a management company is the typical way the situation is set up.

    You can mortgage as normal.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • shimano
    shimano Posts: 157 Forumite
    Thank you, just looking at Santander lending criteria as example, it says the following. would what you describe still be eligible?

    Leasehold property where a controlling share of the freehold is also owned by the borrower (unless the freehold can also be held by us as security for the mortgaHe)
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you share the freeholder with the other leaseholders you do not 'control' it.


    You may wish to engage a broker rather than try to explain this one to Santander.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.