We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Changing address while buying a house

I am currently living in rented accommodation and in the process of buying a house. I already received a mortgage offer from the bank, but I am currently renegotiating the price due to the survey. The vendor is taking his time, is considering doing some works for me, and there is a possibility that before the exchange of contracts takes place I would have to move to another rented accommodation, because my current landlord requires me to vacate the property quite soon.

Would a change of address at this stage be problematic when it comes to the house buying process? I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Comments

  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    It should not be.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    How many days are we talking about? Are we talking 1 or 2? or 1-2 weeks?
    If its a day or 2, it could take them longer to change and re-issue the offer.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • tharsos
    tharsos Posts: 36 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I guess I was concerned that if there were further identity checks, I would probably not appear yet on the electoral roll at the new address. Due to this Experian etc. would not have this information as well. I heard that you have to be on the electoral roll to get a mortgage.
  • tharsos
    tharsos Posts: 36 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ACG wrote: »
    How many days are we talking about? Are we talking 1 or 2? or 1-2 weeks?
    If its a day or 2, it could take them longer to change and re-issue the offer.
    It would be rather around 2-3 weeks
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Whos the lender?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • tharsos
    tharsos Posts: 36 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2014 at 1:48PM
    Santander.

    Maybe I could just redirect mail to the new temporary address and not make any changes to the address in the application? I am not sure if that's a good idea or not.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    I dont know, 2-3 weeks is a long time really.

    Maybe speak to santander and ask a hypothetical question? I have never submitted a case to them so not sure what they would do.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.