MSE Blog: Cheap n’ cheerful choccie almost as good as top shelf

Options
"Last month’s National Chocolate Week really got us thinking – we work for a website that prides itself on fighting for the consumer, so surely it’s our duty to take the fight to the supermarket chocolate shelves, right?..."

Read MSE Zorica and MSE Megan's full blog:
Cheap n’ cheerful choccie almost as good as top shelf

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's a pretty selective list, just 4 types.

For a more informed discusssion, how about:
    • adding a wider selection?
    • telling us who makes Sainsbury's (and other own brand) chocolate?

;)
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cannot believe that MSE have not included some of the best bargains that are to be had at Aldi and Lidl .

Both stock very high quality chocolate for around the cost of a low quality cheapie bar from other supermarkets !
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2014 at 6:01PM
    Options
    Sainsburys Basic 2nd place!!

It is one of the most foulest cheap chocolate ever.

Try the Asda basic against it and you can taste the difference.

Can only see that the test was rubbish because the testers were getting free chocolate.

Not I would consider to Which? test standards.

Also tells that MSE Towers does not pay their staff enough money, so they are unable to buy the posher chocolate, so they can educate their taste buds....;);)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Scritti
    Scritti Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with all of the above.

Sorry MSE - I love you with all my wallet but that test was absolutely rubbish.

Cadbury's in last place?? Do any of you in MSE towers have any taste buds at all?

I love my choc and Sain's Basics chocolate is absolutely gross.

I've tried all the cheap chocolate and they're all - even Lidl's and Aldi's - terrible. Except Asda's which is miles better and almost Galaxy-like in it's creaminess.

Lidl's mid and top-range chocolate is also great.

Their were so few different chocolates tested that it seemed like a complete waste of time to me. Coupled with the fact that your staff wouldn't know nice chocolate if it melted on their heads means I give this one a massive pass.

I still love you but I'm taking further tests with a pinch of salt. Which your team probably wouldn't be able to taste.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scritti wrote: »

Cadbury's in last place?? Do any of you in MSE towers have any taste buds at all?

I've tried all the cheap chocolate and they're all - even Lidl's and Aldi's - terrible. Except Asda's which is miles better and almost Galaxy-like in it's creaminess.

Their were so few different chocolates tested that it seemed like a complete waste of time to me. Coupled with the fact that your staff wouldn't know nice chocolate if it melted on their heads means I give this one a massive pass.

I still love you but I'm taking further tests with a pinch of salt. Which your team probably wouldn't be able to taste.

Actually Cadburys came first and last as they own Green & Blacks
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found the reference to top shelf a bit off putting!!:rotfl:

I love Moser Roth 70% chocolate from Aldi so much so that I don't eat Milk Chocolate any more. I tried Cadbury's Bournville few months ago and it was so horrid I actually threw it away.

I love the site too but there have to be more useful things to do than this.
  • robin58
    edited 4 November 2014 at 9:10PM
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Actually Cadburys came first and last as they own Green & Blacks

A pointless remark really.

Most major companies own more than one brand in a particular product area like chocolate, so they can expand there presence in a food area to cover all demographics.
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58
    Options
    Scritti wrote: »

Here!Here!

I remember a time when chocolate was real chocolate.

Not this over sugary mess they now say is chocolate.
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm usually a dark chocolate gal (70%+) but love, love, love Lidl's Amazonas 60%. And it's a good compromise for the rest of the family who prefer milk. I'm surprised though that none of the chocolate from Lidl or Aldi was included in the test.

My mum and husband used to like Cadbury but both say it seems to have changed & is now much too sweet.

Very surprised re Sainsbury basics but, hey, everyone's taste is different! :)
  • MerlinMags
    MerlinMags Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2014 at 10:10PM
    Options
    If anyone would like a way to save money on their chocolate, I have found an easy way to give the stuff up completely. This has saved me a fortune this year, as I had a genuine addiction before that. I was trying to calculate how much Sainsbury's Basics I'd need to give me an hourly fix from 3pm onwards. I was an idiot.

The way to give up my addiction involved no effort, but it isn't pleasant reading. I will have to write this carefully to avoid coming across as a single-issue-obsessed nutter.

Perhaps it would be better if I didn't explain the issue, but pointed you to a Wikipedia article. Or you can google the subject yourself, to prove this isnt a myth. I haven't found one single website that contradicts this horrible truth of where our chocolate comes from.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_in_cocoa_production

Some UK chocolate manufacturers appear to be committed to ethical sourcing, but few of them seem to make it crystal clear by using the Fairtrade logo on their packaging. I did once try to work out which brands were anti-slavery, but it was just easier to give up chocolate entirely, as online information was incomplete.

If anyone is more knowledgeable on the subject than me I would like to hear from you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure