We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

10 year fixed or carry on?

I currently have a mortgage with the post office, through the bank of ireland. About 6 months I decreased the term of the mortgage from 22 years to 11 years. I currently pay 1.49% interest plus BOE 0.5, so 1.99 in total. Nationwide are doing a 10 year fixed for 3.49%. Question is, do I do it now??????
Debt free. March 2020

Comments

  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you want the security of knowing your mortgage will be almost paid off in 10 years then yes, go for it.
    If you'd prefer to take your chances and make lower payments for a while then stick with your current deal.
    If you think you might want to pay off the mortgage within the next 10 years you have to be aware of the early repayment charge.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • andys15
    andys15 Posts: 1,117
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I won't see benefit unless the interest rate is 2%. How many years do people feel it will be until the interest rate is 2%? its a tricky one.
    Debt free. March 2020
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    People can only guess but it won't be 2% for a few years in my opinion. The 3.49% includes what the bank thinks will happen to interest rates over 10 years and they are probably better at guessing than you or I.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2014 at 2:59PM
    Keep the tracker and pay as if you switched.

    The overpayments make the rise needed to lose out higher the longer base says below 3%.

    Reducing term is usually not a good idea if no overpayment penalties just overpay.
  • andys15
    andys15 Posts: 1,117
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i already reduced the term. i paid £60 for the privilege too. I kept meaning for months to overpay, and things would crop up. Therefore I reduced the term, and increased the direct debit, so I had to pay it.
    Debt free. March 2020
  • botchjob
    botchjob Posts: 269 Forumite
    I can't see the point in that myself. But as you can obviously afford to pay your mortgage at 3.49% (so have a big comfort zone when rates do go up), why not stick with your 1.99%, but overpay to 3.49%?

    I wouldn't be at all suprised if by the time the BOE rate reaches 2.99% (+0.5% = 3.49%), you'll have pretty much paid off your mortgage anyway.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    andys15 wrote: »
    i already reduced the term. i paid £60 for the privilege too. I kept meaning for months to overpay, and things would crop up. Therefore I reduced the term, and increased the direct debit, so I had to pay it.

    So where does the money come from for things that crop up.

    Might be a good idea to do some proper budgeting.
  • andys15
    andys15 Posts: 1,117
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    things no longer crop up. I would just waste the money, now I have doubled my mortgage payments, I cannot waste it.
    Debt free. March 2020
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    So increase the rate to stop you wasting more money��

    Set up a standing order for the overpayment or see if the lender will take more on the dd.

    Use https://www.whatsthecost.com to get the payment at the higher rate and set up the appropriate overpayment.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.