Cancelled Train : Refund: Chiltern

Options
Hi members,

I just want to know what are my rights for refunds when it comes to cancelled trains.

I use chiltern trains to travel between West Ruislip and Marylebone on Oyster pay as you go.

These days 3/5 times , the train gets cancelled in the evening.

As per Chiltern Railways no refund if the service is less than 30 minutes delayed , no refund only apology.

Has anyone been in such a situation and been able to get a refund.

e.g : Train at 4.27pm gets cancelled at the last minute, next service is at 5.53 which is under 30 minutes, hence no refund.

However to be able to take the 4.27 train I have to reach station atleast 10 minutes before to find out which platform it is from.

Untill 4.25pm they will announce platform not allocated or please wait. Just a minute before they will play their apology anthem and say service is cancelled. It is so frustrating.

Any comments?

Thank you.

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    4.27 to 5.53 sounds like 86 minutes to me
  • yaz2010
    yaz2010 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I meant 4.27 and 5.53
  • yaz2010
    Options
    Oops did it again.

Sorry 4.27 and 4.53.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    yaz2010 wrote: »
    However to be able to take the 4.27 train I have to reach station atleast 10 minutes before to find out which platform it is from.

That may or may not be true, but it doesn't matter.
    If you were to catch the 16:30 (cannot find a 16:27), then you would be due to arrive at West Ruislip at 17:01.

If you catch the next train, i.e. at 16:54, you are due at West Ruislip at 17:08.

Therefore your delay is seven minutes.

Remember, it is the time that you arrive at your destination that is measured.

For an extreme example, if the 16:30 left at 16:50, and by some miracle reached the destination on time, then all that is happened is that you stood on the departure platform a bit longer... no delay.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 October 2014 at 9:29PM
    Options
    If you intend to catch the 1630 from Marylebone, due West Ruislip 1701, and this train is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund, without any admin fees, if you choose not to travel.

Alternatively, if you do choose to travel, you may take the 1653 service, due 1708. Assuming it's on time, you are only 7 minutes later than scheduled. There is no compensation payable for a 7 minute delay to your journey.

Are you asking for compensation for arriving into your destination 7 minutes late? I don't think any mode of transport would ever offer that!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought wealdroam and yorkie2 might have been looking in the wrong direction as the OP could be travelling from West Ruislip to Marylebone, and that perhaps there was a longer delay between arrivals, but the train times don't match that way either. Although the delay going the other way is only as small as it is because the 16:54 is non-stop to WR.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Indeed, I think yaz2010 is commuting from WRU to MYB, and that the times mentioned are the return journey of that commute. The only train from WRU to MYB at around that time is 1649.

The only days that I can find evidence of the 1630 being cancelled since the May timetable change, are 16 June, and 9 & 19 September, though there are a few days for which there is no data.

The train also ran every day so far this month, usually arriving on time (if not early) and was 5 minutes late on 3 occasions. That seems a very good performance to me, so it seems like someone is wanting compensation for nothing.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2014 at 11:04PM
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I thought wealdroam and yorkie2 might have been looking in the wrong direction as the OP could be travelling from West Ruislip to Marylebone, and that perhaps there was a longer delay between arrivals, but the train times don't match that way either. Although the delay going the other way is only as small as it is because the 16:54 is non-stop to WR.

Yes, I did check both directions and the statement "I have to reach station at least 10 minutes before to find out which platform it is from" also helped me decide the OP was taking about travelling from Marylebone.

There are only two Chiltern platforms at WRU, and only one for London bound trains. Shouldn't take ten minutes to work out which platform to use. ;)
    Having said that, I'm not sure why it takes that long at Marylebone either. :D
  • yaz2010
    Options
    Journey was between Marylebone and WR in the afternoon. Thank you all. I did not knew the time was dependant on the destination time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure