PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow cooker question

Options
I hope this is in the correct place.

I am going to make a casserole in the slow cooker tomorrow, but was just wondering whether I am able to throw everything in this evening (including the sealed meat) so that all I need to do in the morning is to switch it on? I have a pretty early start, leaving the house much earlier than usual so really don't fancy getting up any earlier to prep the veg and seal the meat.

Thank you.
Starting a new debt free journey
Starting Debt: £5,250
Current Debt: £4,995.50
Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
Emergency Fund: £350

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I don't seal meat for the slo-cooker, just toss it in seasoned flour.
    I'd prep the veg tonight & leave it in water & drain it tomorrow.
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can but if it's a ceramic pot I'd leave it to warm up to room temperature first rather than putting a refridgerator-cool pot directly into the slow cooker.
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • Owl
    Owl Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    I prep everything, leave it all in SC, on the side, apart from the meat. The meat I leave in the fridge, then in the morning add meat, turn on and leave. Come home to tea mmmmmm.......
    Bear in mind my kitchen is not heated!! I also don't sear meat, just throw everything in! Oh, and if I'm adding pearl barley or lentils I don't add them until the morning.
    Children are born with wings .... Teachers help them to fly
    One day your life is going to flash in front of your eyes.... Make sure it's worth watching!!!!!
  • bellaquidsin
    bellaquidsin Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It would not be a good idea to sear the meat and then leave it sitting in the pot overnight as it would be warm enough for the bacteria to thrive.

As you have a very early start the extra time should compensate for not searing the meat and give you a very yummy result when you return home.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I've prepped all the veg and they're sitting in saucepans of water, the meat in the fridge ready. Should be nice and easy in the morning!!! Thanks :)
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Why faff and leave the veggies in saucepans of water overnight - sling them in the slow cooker and cover them with water, in the morning sling in the meat and switch it on.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I added stock to it so there would then be too much water!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts