'Is it age or generation that makes older people more trusting?' blog discussion

2»

Comments

• Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    For some actual science, there was a UCLA study which suggested that ageing makes people more trusting:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-older-adults-are-too-trusting/
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My experience at work shows the opposite. When I'm meeting new clients, the older ones are the ones who sit there poring through the paperwork in an excruciating slow detailed way, constantly asking questions and wanting reassurance as to what they're signing. The younger ones just flippantly sign anything put in front of them. If I was a dishonest sort of person, I could have a field day with them! It's the younger ones who won't make a decision - they're the ones who say "whatever you think is right".

Perhaps it's just the type of people I deal with. With being an accountant, I'm usually meeting people in business, so perhaps it's the more savvy older people that I meet who are more likely to run or have sold a business. But it is worrying that the younger ones are starting businesses with such a cavalier attitude - I've seen quite a few come a cropper!
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Pennywise wrote: »
    My experience at work shows the opposite. When I'm meeting new clients, the older ones are the ones who sit there poring through the paperwork in an excruciating slow detailed way, constantly asking questions and wanting reassurance as to what they're signing. The younger ones just flippantly sign anything put in front of them. If I was a dishonest sort of person, I could have a field day with them! It's the younger ones who won't make a decision - they're the ones who say "whatever you think is right".

Perhaps it's just the type of people I deal with. With being an accountant, I'm usually meeting people in business, so perhaps it's the more savvy older people that I meet who are more likely to run or have sold a business. But it is worrying that the younger ones are starting businesses with such a cavalier attitude - I've seen quite a few come a cropper!

Understandable as older people have been around long enough to be better than to sign something without reading it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure