MoneySaving Poll: Should the UK leave the EU?

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Now they want another £2billion on top of the £22 billion we already pay to be a member of the EU.

That money could be saving the NHS, protecting the disabled, sick unemployed and pensioners

Why can't we have a referendum now?
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • NafUk
    NafUk Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of money in the NHS and other public sector services, it is just that managers etc. treat it as a bottomless pit of private sector tax money for large wages and pensions, and waste.
    E.g. 4,000 people in the NHS earn more than £100,000.
    Top pay scale for nurses £88,000.
    15% of nurses are higher rate tax payers.
    A final salary pension of 20,000 per year requires £1,000 per month for 30 years; not paid this, then someone is subsidising you.
    Highest paid GP's in Europe.
    It is not about what you are worth, it is about how much we can afford.
    UK 1.4 trillion in debt, 4 trillion if public sector pensions are considered, and 100 billion a year deficit.
    Our children, and their children, will be lumbered with this.
  • roy62
    roy62 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Why do we allow the dregs of Europe into the country when we can't look after are own people fairly?
  • oldnewhand
    Options
    I was surprised that the pro EU vote was as high as it is, given the huge amount of publicity telling us everyone's jumping on the UKIP wagon and wants out.
    It's too complex an issue to simply vote yes or no. There have been many positives in workplace legislation, environmental protection and redevelopment grants, we must consider them as well as the negatives of cost and loss of national identity.
    Most importantly we have to consider how we can survive on our own. Do we really trust our government to look after our best interests?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree but we should deal with our dregs first though...
    roy62 wrote: »
    Why do we allow the dregs of Europe into the country when we can't look after are own people fairly?
  • System
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I agree but we should deal with our dregs first though...

Not a very helpful post from a misguided individual.

I agree that I wouldn't want UKIP running the country. They couldn't run it.

However many of the principles they stand for are what majority of people in this country agree with, even though most will not vote UKIP. As soon as curbing immigration is mentioned then one must be racist. I assume therefore you feel that Australia is a racist country for example?

If there was a fair balance of immigration and emigration I wouldn't mind, but the fact of the matter is that immigration far exceeds emigration and this will continue year after year and the burden on this country will get worse and public services will not cope. We need to leave the EU to curb this. We can then introduce tougher rules on immigration (NOT ban immigration - so NOT racist). If people come here for the right reasons then I say open the door and welcome them with open arms. It would also stop slave labour which is common and free up more potential jobs for those current British citizens who are too lazy to work (and before you start, a lot of people on benefits are on them for the right reasons, but a lot are not!).

Ultimately it comes down to a stark choice: Vote UKIP for a protest vote, vote labour for more of the same or vote Tory for a choice on the EU. Like it or not a Tory government is the only way will get a referendum and despite the fact as an NHS worker, they have treated us like dirt, they will get my vote because the EU referendum would be the defining moment of our generation and more important to me for my children's sake than if I will get a pay rise next year.
  • NafUk
    NafUk Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Quote: "I agree that I wouldn't want UKIP running the country. They couldn't run it."

I agree with you. No political party could run the country; that is not really their job.
    Their job is to legislate, and the civil service and other public sector workers run the country.

I am not sure what worries you so much about UKIP - how much worse could they be than the legacy parties?
    * social mobility reduced
    * economic equality decreased
    * an illegal war
    * overpopulation
    * NHS in disarray
    * 100 billion per year deficit
    * 1.4 trillion government debt (4 trillion if you include worker pensions, not old age pensions)
    * one or two potholes in the roads
    * too many public sector workers (50% of GDP)
    * loss of manufacturing industries
    * mass sale of playgrounds
    * highest prison population in Europe
    * ROTHERAM!!!!!
    etc.

I am not sure why you think any of the legacy parties will get it correct next time!!!!!!
  • System
    Options
    NafUk wrote: »
    Quote: "I agree that I wouldn't want UKIP running the country. They couldn't run it."

I agree with you. No political party could run the country; that is not really their job.
    Their job is to legislate, and the civil service and other public sector workers run the country.

I am not sure what worries you so much about UKIP - how much worse could they be than the legacy parties?
    * social mobility reduced
    * economic equality decreased
    * an illegal war
    * overpopulation
    * NHS in disarray
    * 100 billion per year deficit
    * 1.4 trillion government debt (4 trillion if you include worker pensions, not old age pensions)
    * one or two potholes in the roads
    * too many public sector workers (50% of GDP)
    * loss of manufacturing industries
    * mass sale of playgrounds
    * highest prison population in Europe
    * ROTHERAM!!!!!
    etc.

I am not sure why you think any of the legacy parties will get it correct next time!!!!!!

I don't think the legacy parties will get it correct per se, I just worry that UKIP don't have what it takes to form a balanced government. Virtually everyone I have asked feels the same.
    My main fear of voting UKIP is that it will detract from tory votes and allow labour in. That would be the worst thing possible for the country.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does anyone actually know what leaving the EU entails? And what benefits staying in the EU would have?

If so, could they please post the facts? No political statements please, just facts.
  • Bombus
    Bombus Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 27 October 2014 at 11:12PM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know what leaving the EU entails? And what benefits staying in the EU would have?

If so, could they please post the facts? No political statements please, just facts.

There are few hard facts and everything is political in a referendum like this. A good example is the AV referendum we had in 2010 and the Scots referendum this year, both of which just descended into each side telling a pack of lies to get people to support their view. I was convinced during the AV referendum that alot of people voting didn't even know what AV was, so I expect both sides to do the same with an EU referendum.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to find out the facts. The best way to decide this is to write down what you think are the problems for yourself, your loved ones, and if you want, your country. Then it is a question of deciding whether they will be best served or answered by being in the EU or outside of the EU. Both come with positives and negatives, there is never a clear winner. There would be a period of economic turmoil if we left as we readjusted as would be expected, which is why alot of businesses do not want the uncertainty created by the possibility of leaving (just like the banks and big businesses tried to sway the Scottish referedum debate by telling Scots they would move south if they voted to be independent). The UK would soon recover though and make new trade agreements with the EU and other countries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure