Never worked, state pension??

Options

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't looked at or even thought about this for years. You used to get a state pension at 70 without contributions. It happened to a widowed relative of mine.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chella wrote: »
    OK so it might be a meagre amount but he will be given some form of benefit and housing benefit and the rest. Makes me really angry actually!!

Why? He sounds an odd person to be jealous about.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    I haven't looked at or even thought about this for years. You used to get a state pension at 70 without contributions. It happened to a widowed relative of mine.
    Do you mean the Cat D pension which is paid to "everyone" who is 80 or over irrespective of their contributions history?

Like lots of other things the Cat D ends for anyone whose SPa is 6/4/2016 or later as part of the new State Pension (as does the 50p age allowance as well).

If it is not Cat D you mean then a widow would qualify for a Cat B pension based on the spouses contributions for which age 70 has no significance.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    chella wrote: »
    he is a typical man child, nearly 40 never left home, never done anything in life, no real desire to do anything apart from video game. But that's not my problem, I just wanted to know if I was right about not getting a pension or not.

I have no doubt he will live at home until his parents die.

You're right, it isn't your problem.

I'd concentrate on how you are going to fund your own retirement rather than getting angry about someone else's situation.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    I should tell the Daily Mail. They will make a front page story about it.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    If he was at retirement age at the moment, he would be eligible for Pension Credit to make his income up to:

£148.35 ...,single
    or £226.50 .... a couple.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/pension-credit/what-is-pension-credit/

Any amount of Pension Credit entitles you to full Housing/Council Tax Benefit.

What he will get in 30 years' time, who can tell? However, I think it is very short-sighted of him to assume the State will provide more than the absolute minimum, which by that time might mean living in something like a hostel.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    You're right, it isn't your problem.

I'd concentrate on how you are going to fund your own retirement rather than getting angry about someone else's situation.

But I can understand the OP getting angry when other people have to fund this lazy man's retirement. IMO, he should get the absolute minimum with no extra help, so that there is more for those who have paid in, or those who haven't due to disability or caring responsibilities.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Pollycat
    Options
    But I can understand the OP getting angry when other people have to fund this lazy man's retirement. IMO, he should get the absolute minimum with no extra help, so that there is more for those who have paid in, or those who haven't due to disability or caring responsibilities.

Imho, life is too short to get het up about what other people are getting - or in this case may be getting in 30 years time. etc etc.

I keep telling my mother this when she's having a rant about somebody claiming x benefit or coming into the country.

I save my energy for things that I can change and that really matter to me.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Imho, life is too short to get het up about what other people are getting - or in this case may be getting in 30 years time. etc etc.

I keep telling my mother this when she's having a rant about somebody claiming x benefit or coming into the country.

I save my energy for things that I can change and that really matter to me.

Well I agree you must chose your battles, but sometimes things just get to you even though there is nothing you can do about it. I quite understand why the OP is annoyed.

And maybe being concerned about what her taxes and NI are spent on DOES matter to her. Just because it doesn't matter to you does not mean it might not to someone else.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Well I agree you must chose your battles, but sometimes things just get to you even though there is nothing you can do about it. I quite understand why the OP is annoyed.

And maybe being concerned about what her taxes and NI are spent on DOES matter to her. Just because it doesn't matter to you does not mean it might not to someone else.

It actually does matter to me.

But I know that I personally can't do anything about it.

I can vote for a political party that promises to do something about x or y but there's nothing to guarantee that they will keep their promises once they get into power.

So I don't allow what someone else gets in benefits or might get in benefits in the future to wind me up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport