PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Jellybaby
    Jellybaby Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm back...again! I failed miserably at this challenge the first few months I tried it but after the expense of installing a new kitchen and the introduction of a food bin to our waste collection, I'm more than ready to try this again:j

There's only myself and DS2 at home full-time, DS1 is in last year of uni a few hundred miles away so is only home once a month. His visits usually trigger grocery spending splurges but I don't think he really notices so let's see what happens when I stop:rotfl:

DS2 is a real skinny malinky and needs constantly fed so looking forward to getting the slow cooker out and making plenty soups, stews and casseroles - all with YS veg of course:D

I'm aiming to keep the budget at £200 to include all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff, alcohol - the lot.

Away to have a read of the recipes, see what I can find.

Good luck everyone x
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,880 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've updated the budgets list to here :)

Welcome/welcome back to:
    Mrs_Cheshire, Mrsmac, january_23, Catcherupper14, so very confused, MutleysMum, Debt Free Desires, be.better.with.money, Bobarella, freakyogre, NewShadow and Jellybaby :D

Good luck everyone.

Our November starts today. Will pop out later to get something for dinner - our fridge is like old mother hubbard's! Will do a proper shop tomorrow - possibly at Asda if I feel brave enough to brave the crowds :D

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Shortypie
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie here :) mum to three children (7 year old twins and 4 year old) and work-widow to a London bus driver. I work term time only so looking forward to a week with the kids (someone might have to remind me of that after 2 days). I've really cut back on our shopping over the last year (moved from a house with interest only mortgage, and intolerable antisocial behaviour outside :eek: to rented house, so outgoings doubled). However I know that I could do better if I was just more organised.

I can get 5% off gift card top up for most of the supermarkets through work but haven't done in months. I split my shopping between a well known British supermarket chain and a well known German supermarket chain. I did my last shop for £83, incl packed lunches for the twins. (DD on free school meals) I expect that to last for 11 meals (incl having friends over - 2 adults and 3 kids - for dinner) when added to stuff in my freezer (incl half price pork joint £5 & 4 x bags of frozen pork and apple sausages in clearance at 50p each :T )

My main problem (apartfrom never doing an inventory - just realised I've hardly any pasta left, meaning a trip to the sm for more, and come out with half the shop ;) ) is hubby: more often than not he will come home via the sm with a reduced sandwich/pasty even though I will be cooking dinner, and a bottle or two of ale at £1-£1.50 each. He's really not into thriftiness, he doesn't get it/think it will make a difference. Anyone else have this problem? I've suggested to him making packed lunches (he spends about £80 on lunches) taking a tenner out, topping up his whole petrol tank at the beginning of the week and sticking with that, he says he will and probably means it, but doesn't.

Anyway, I'm going for £350 for 5 incl packed lunches,cat food, toiletries if necessary. Goung to start from possibly Wednesday.

Post-script - hubby just walked in from work with 2 bags from sm :mad:
    Mummy to 3

March Grocery Challenge: 152.06/£300
    Decluttered 59/2016 since Feb
    March NSDs 1/13
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi shortiepie welcome! it took me a year of badgering oh till he came round to my way of thinking .if you give him time hopefully he will see what a good job your doing and jump on the wagon too . just came on to say its 2 for 3 in tescos for the baking stuff again, sorry if its been mentioned already i shall go next week as i on fiscal fast have a good weekend all xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Have you got room for one more? I've come slinking back to the site after having a naughty few months off, and one area I need to improve in is groceries!

This month will be a bit of guesswork whilst I try to work out a starting point. So can I be put down for £250 please? This is for me, OH and our kitty cat. Hopefully I can then start to whittle this amount down if possible :)
    This will include toiletries, cleaning products and cat food on top of the people food.
    Many thanks to everyone who runs this thread, and all the contributors. You are all so inspirational!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I went awol months ago but would like to join back in please, with a target of £250 for me and two 16-year- olds to include all food, cleaning and household items.

Thanks so much for running the thread, looking forward to getting back on it. I haven 't gone way off in the last few months due to habits that have stuck but a fresh focus is definitely needed :) x

Will run through calendar month for me so start Nov 1.
  • couponchaos
    Options
    Hi after a move and a few months off I would like to rejoin with a budget of £150 for this month please
    :j Good things come to those who coupon. :j

GC August £122.75/150 September 188.76/200 October £97.40/ £120 November £90.20/£100
    December £136.20/£180 January £98.50/£120
    February £91.50/ £100
    March £97.50/£100
    May £129.20/ £130
    June £135/£150
    July £40/£100
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    NOVEMBER BUDGET OF £250 PLEASE
    Cant believe how quickly this year is passing :eek: someone said it goes quicker the older you get and they weren't kidding.

Good luck with the weight loss NEW SHADOW both hubby and I have been shifting the weight recently, its hard at times but can be done.
    Thanks to CRAIGYWV for the info on the 342 baking items. I need some flour so will get some next week. Haven't been to Te$co shopping wise for ages so will have a look around. I take mum every week but am very disciplined and don't look. :rotfl:
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • miss_try_to_save
    Options
    hello please may I join the challenge im a newbie at this so id like to try for £380 for the month for a family of 4 /5 as dd2 is on a special no dairy wheat or gluten diet

oct 2015 grocery challenge £183/£2360

0/£600 aug 2016 grocery challenge

• peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2014 at 7:20PM
    Options
    Hello all,

Welcome to the new people.

Shorty pie, my hubby is also prone to stopping off at M&S for what he terms 'man food', think of crusty rolls, chipsticks and coca cola. Now, I think ok, it is your money and I will carry on and budget. He is now asking how much I have saved by shopping wisely so I think we are slowly getting there. He is always amazed how my dinners cooked from scratch work out cheaper than M&S ready meals :eek:

A NSD today, managed to dissuade hubby from going to Mr W for an indian takeaway.

ETA: It is now 7:15pm and hubby has returned from M&S having spent £20. He means well as some of the money spent is on ready meals as he does not wish me to overdo it. I take it in the spirit it is meant, but it does concern me as money is tight. So, shorty pie, I understand.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure