🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Friday 17th October - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,081 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people. Dont forget we also have a small things on Facebook, if anyone wishes to join

Already been for a walk up to son's old school and took old batteries for recycling (school funds) and two large bags of junk for model making. Feeling much better today , so today I will:

Hoover & Dust Lounge -
    Craft -
    Sort present box (and write list) -
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Packed lunch for DH - Done
    Enter a few comps -
    Sort emails (& unsubscribe where possible) -
    Nectar Adpoints -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Read book (from stash) -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com -

Have a great day, love to you all

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning Ziggy, we seem to have two threads:o How to I delete mine??
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • chrisfreelander54
    Options
    Bagpuss741 wrote: »
    Morning Ziggy, we seem to have two threads:o How to I delete mine??

Just noticed this also, so I have copied and pasted to here.

Morning Ziggy, Bagpuss.

Today I have/will:

1. Check online banking.
    2. Update YNAB.
    3. Update signature.
    4. Add £200 to emergency fund.
    5. Take DS7 to doctors (ear infection).
    6. Played with Lego with DS7.
    7. Free Postcode Lottery.
    8. 2 loads of washing.
    9. Prepared a meal for tea, for when DW gets home from work.
    10. Research best ways to use Kale (bought today, never cooked or eaten before).
    YNAB is my new best friend. :)
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi - I'm a newbie so maybe my small things are big things but I wanted to post!
    Today I will/have:-
    1. Check online banking
    2. Create my signature
    3. Do a snowball report
    4. Sort clothes to weigh in (already done sort out and carbooted the better stuff)
    5. Put clothes on eBay
    Starting again..
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 647 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning,

Jobs for today are:

Go through freezer and menu plan from the contents of freezer and pantry.
    Try and catch up with washing and use the heated airer, not the tumble dryer.
    Hoover through the sitting room and dining room, plus declutter so that it is looking tidy for the weekend.
    Work out a new budget as money is tight at the moment.

I think this will be enough to work on for now.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Like twiggy86 I am also new! I've signed up to keep myself accountable for my plan to pay off two (currently interest free) debts totalling £3700.

What I've done so far:

1. Went through my bank account and totalled my monthly payments so I have an exact idea of what I'm left with each month.
    2. Set a budget for each week
    3. Had a mental look through my freezer and thought about what I can make for the next few days
    4. Made a plan of what I can pay each month. Planning to pay off my interest free overdraft of £1700 by end of December
    - I have 700 in my debt fund. Payrise end of November, so I will save £500 from Nov and £500 fro December pay and it will be gone
    - £2000 on a Barclaycard interest free until 1st June 2015. I'm paying £200 a month towards this, then from January's pay, I will put more towards it.

Feeling really excited to get this sorted!
  • solvencyseeker
    Options
    Hello all, thank you Ziggy/Bagpuss for the start and welcome to the newbies. Happy Friday :j

Today I am at work, earning not spending. Lift sharing as usual. Washing should be on the line (asked OH to peg it out before he left for work). All meals from stores/plan. I have taken chicken and curry sauce out of the freezer for the menfolk for later. Spotted an ancient portion of shepherds pie which I'm having (still a bit too sore to be chewing things).

Bank accounts checked, all fine. Need to be very frugal the next few days until OH's payday but it is do-able.

Later I'll walk the dogs. Maybe plant/pot some free iris bulbs that a colleague gave me (she had to dig them up due to building work).

Chilling out in front of the TV has become to have quite a literal meaning in our house - still resisting that heating button. I have been wrapping myself up in a throw and encouraging the dogs to cuddle up with me instead!

Best wishes x
  • ShootForTheMoon
    Options
    Hi Gang!!

Thanks for the starter Ziggy! Glad to hear you're feeling a lot better today...

A big welcome to the newbies too :hello: good to have you on board!!

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL this week, have been very busy at work (for a change!) and been coining the overtime!!

Anyway, here's my little list for today:

:) Check online banking

:) Catch up on Nectar Adpoints

:) Do some of my "homework" for new course I am doing at work

:) Pop a dark wash on and out to dry whilst weather is decent

:) Exercise - free and outside - just a 5k run

:) Collect spending money for upcoming trip to Copenhagen to avoid postage cost (nearly £10!!!)

:) Tidy house as OH has friends coming over tonight

:) Batch cook a leek & potato soup using allotment produce - freeze

:) Cook up a thai green curry from scratch and freeze

:) Take a packed dinner to work for tonight to avoid kebab run!!

:) Working 5pm-3am and will stay on afterwards for overtime

:) FaceTime Mum and Dad who are visiting my little bro in Edinburgh on tour to catch up and make plans for next week

:) Start planning for Christmas shopping - have set budget and intend to be well within (will have to keep a tight reign on OH as it is the first Christmas I've been in the country for years!!)

Right, I think that's about it!! Hope everyone is having a fantastic day and life is treating you all well!!

Lots of Love,

Shoot xxx
    :T DEBT FREE AS OF APRIL 2013! :T
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul"
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello :wave:

Thanks for starting the thread Ziggy. Nice to see new posters :)

So far today I have:
    Labelled and put away the chilli jam I made yesterday. It is hot this time :eek:
    Put a load of washing out on the line
    Cleaned some items for my sales unit and taken them in
    Done a shop to last till after the weekend

Still to do:
    Make a cake - I have run out :eek:
    Clean stairs and put hoover away
    Make damson vodka - I got some funny looks in Sainsburys this morning with 2 bottles of vodka in my trolley as well as my weekly bottle of wine :eek: especially as I bought little else - most of the shopping was done in Lidl :rotfl:
    Take dog out later
    Bring in washing and finish off on airer overnight
    Eat what is in the fridge, as OH is away and I won't be cooking a 'proper' meal tonight. Maybe an omelette. There will be cake though :D :EasterBun ... and wine :p

Hope everyone has a nice day :)
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    DawnW, your chilli jam sounds lovely. I always do at least one hamper for family members at Christmas, and I have a chilli plant, so I will have a google for recipes.

Even though I was tempted by the canteen, I ate the lunch I'd brought (I bring a pack of mackerel and a bag of spinach each week and work my way through that).

Tonight I am out for a curry with a friend, which should be nice. Tomorrow I'm meeting another friend for drinks - but I'm going to drive through so I save money on train fair and alcohol (I know fuel costs money too, but less than the £10ish for the train and bus fairs to the train station).

I have about £300 until payday (28th) so I will aim to spend half of that (I have a wedding next weekend) and put the rest in my debt fund!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport