Drug Reform

Options
Isn't it time the drug laws in the UK were reformed? We need to put an end to laws punishing people for making choices for their own bodies and minds and punishing those with an illness (that's right addiction is an illness)

We should take into consideration the drug reform happening around the world in places such as america with the growing legalization of Cannabis and Portugal who legalized all drugs in order to eradicate drug addiction.

I believe the time for change on these outdated ill informed laws is NOW

What are your opinions?

Should we change drug laws in the UK 34 votes

Yes
70% 24 votes
No
23% 8 votes
Unsure
5% 2 votes

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yes, we should change the laws in this area. However I don't agree they should be legalised. Instead they should be combining punishment for users with treatment and far more money needs to go into this area.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • LeedsStudent13
    Options
    Yes, we should change the laws in this area. However I don't agree they should be legalised. Instead they should be combining punishment for users with treatment and far more money needs to go into this area.

what drugs do you think shouldn't be legalized? When you say punishment for users, is this for all drugs or Class A drugs such as Cocaine and heroin?
    Personally i agree with what you said but i image a system which allows those addicted to drugs such as heroin to be admitted to centers that can safely help the user lose their addiction, similarly to that in Portugal.
    As well as this i believe it is time the Laws on cannabis are changed. It is overwhelmingly clear that there is an issue when the main risk associated with a drug is a criminal one. Due to medicinal legalization of cannabis places such as California, people with many diseases (including Cancer) are being treating without the potential horrifying side effects.
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    what drugs do you think shouldn't be legalized? When you say punishment for users, is this for all drugs or Class A drugs such as Cocaine and heroin?
    Personally i agree with what you said but i image a system which allows those addicted to drugs such as heroin to be admitted to centers that can safely help the user lose their addiction, similarly to that in Portugal.
    As well as this i believe it is time the Laws on cannabis are changed. It is overwhelmingly clear that there is an issue when the main risk associated with a drug is a criminal one. Due to medicinal legalization of cannabis places such as California, people with many diseases (including Cancer) are being treating without the potential horrifying side effects.

I don't think any drug which is currently illegal should be made legal other than for any specific medical use such as cannabis derivatives which are being developed at the moment.

Punishment obviously is dependent on the drug involved and if a first offence and whether a user or dealer. For instance someone found with a small amount of cannabis for the first time a caution may be enough whereas heroin needs to be treated much more severely

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
  • LeedsStudent13
    LeedsStudent13 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2014 at 10:50PM
    Options
    I don't think any drug which is currently illegal should be made legal other than for any specific medical use such as cannabis derivatives which are being developed at the moment.

Punishment obviously is dependent on the drug involved and if a first offence and whether a user or dealer. For instance someone found with a small amount of cannabis for the first time a caution may be enough whereas heroin needs to be treated much more severely

Why do you not believe in the legalization of cannabis? What makes you believe that derivatives are better than the plant itself?

It seems to me that the reason they are looking for derivatives of the plant is so they can patent it and make as much money as possible, which i find somewhat disturbing. The problem lies in the fact that cannabis can be grown at home, this is a problem for pharmaceutical companies who make billions from selling prescription drugs as many people wouldn't buy them anymore. Personally i see no reason not to legalize cannabis first medicinally and in time for recreational use.

I also believe that there should be more restrictions on "Legal Highs" and Tobacco. what are your thoughts on this?
  • montyrebel
    Options
    I agree they need reformed but only to be stricter, I have seen the damage that drugs do to people, not 1 of them is safe as some people claim
    mortui non mordent
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes the laws need to be changed.

Posession - 1st offence £10000 fine, Second offence 5 years 3rd - 10 years see where that is going.

Dealing - 1st offence 5 years, second 20 years, third - no parole.

Soon sort out the junkies
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tberry6686 wrote: »
    Yes the laws need to be changed.

Posession - 1st offence £10000 fine, Second offence 5 years 3rd - 10 years see where that is going.

Dealing - 1st offence 5 years, second 20 years, third - no parole.

Soon sort out the junkies

We could do the same for tobacco (one of the most addictive drugs of abuse) and alcohol (one of the most widely abused).

But... if you just want the "junkies" to be "sorted out", why not go for public execution by being hanged, drawn and quartered?

That'll get curious schoolkids wiped of the planet before they become "proper" junkies.

And what about diabetics?! Many can't live without their precious insulin injections. Clearly a physical addiction that needs to be punished.

Seriously, thought, it's patently ridiculous to anyone with a brain to punish drug addiction. All drugs should be legalised for personal possession, and "soft drugs" should be available from heavily-controlled suppliers.
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    Why do you not believe in the legalization of cannabis? What makes you believe that derivatives are better than the plant itself?

It seems to me that the reason they are looking for derivatives of the plant is so they can patent it and make as much money as possible, which i find somewhat disturbing. The problem lies in the fact that cannabis can be grown at home, this is a problem for pharmaceutical companies who make billions from selling prescription drugs as many people wouldn't buy them anymore. Personally i see no reason not to legalize cannabis first medicinally and in time for recreational use.

I also believe that there should be more restrictions on "Legal Highs" and Tobacco. what are your thoughts on this?

I totally agree that there needs to be more restrictions on tobacco etc. If tobacco were to be discovered now it would of course never be made legal but we can't put the genie back in the bottle.

On cannabis we seem to basically be on the same page in thinking that it should be made available for proven medical reasons as I said. We should though make a distinction between the plant as a whole and the constituent parts which are of use. I don't think it should be legalised for recreational use.

• LeedsStudent13
    Options
    montyrebel wrote: »
    I agree they need reformed but only to be stricter, I have seen the damage that drugs do to people, not 1 of them is safe as some people claim

I think this comment is somewhat misinformed, when you refer to drugs do you also mean prescription drugs, coffee, alcohol? or just the drugs that are "bad" because i can tell you with definite certainty tht drugs such as cannabis are not the devil that they are portrayed to be
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shouldn't this be in the polls forum? I don't think there is a MSE campaign on this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure