Lemmings

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
7 replies 1K views
jackyannjackyann Forumite
3.4K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Hello all, I never normally come on to this bit of the forum, and know nothing about "gaming".
But any years ago, before most of you were born (!) I enjoyed a game called "lemmings".
I can't play it on my laptop now as it won't load (I have Windows 8). I googled, and found that I can download the game from "softonic". I've never heard of them - are they reliable? Am I likely to get a virus or something?
I am quite happy to buy the game, but am unsure about the "second hand" ones offered on amazon.
I did try playing the free one offered on-line by "elizium" but it is very unreliable (not complaining, as I said, am happy to pay)
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much!

Replies

• Softonic just host the download, it can be placed there by nearly anyone and they may have nasties in the files. Have you tried right clicking on the icon for the unreliable version you have and changing the compatibility settings to run it.
    Better to remain a silent fool than speak and remove all doubt.
  • jackyann wrote: »
    Hello all, I never normally come on to this bit of the forum, and know nothing about "gaming".
    But any years ago, before most of you were born (!) I enjoyed a game called "lemmings".
    I can't play it on my laptop now as it won't load (I have Windows 8). I googled, and found that I can download the game from "softonic". I've never heard of them - are they reliable? Am I likely to get a virus or something?
    I am quite happy to buy the game, but am unsure about the "second hand" ones offered on amazon.
    I did try playing the free one offered on-line by "elizium" but it is very unreliable (not complaining, as I said, am happy to pay)
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks so much!
    Right click-properties-compatability and select to run it in another version.

alternatively, run the game, then press windows key to go back into windows desktop, press control+alt+del and then select task manager from the selection screen, in task manager selct process's then look for the game lemmings.exe or similar, right click on on it and then select Affinity then select to run it on a single core, if that what the game was designed to run on. if this works youll need to do this process every time the game is started.

stick to the original install don't bother with "patched by anonymous" game files on fileshare or file host sites.
  • edited 16 October 2014 at 7:30PM
    AlecEiffelAlecEiffel Forumite
    874 Posts
    edited 16 October 2014 at 7:30PM
  • jackyannjackyann Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much - now the beds will be unmade, the dinners remain in the fridge and all social life will cease........................
  • ArmoricaArmorica Forumite
    864 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    One of the few times I wish I had a windows pc still!

There is a game called meerkat challenge on iphone app store (possibly android too) that is a bit like lemmings

it doesn't have lemmings but http://www.gog.com is a good site for a lot of other old games
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told about this version called Lemmins(note no 'g')

http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3324.html

I have it downloaded and there are scores, if not hundreds, of levels that as far as I can remember are identical in every way to the original lemmings, including the same ghastly music.

I have gone through loads of levels(or rather my son has) and it has never crashed on a PC or laptop.

Perhaps one of the technical experts on here can comment.
  • CycrowCycrow Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    The original lemmings is a dos game, so it wont work in windows.

you can download some software called dosbox, which is basically like a dos emulator for windows, this will allow you to play most old dos games.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals