Solicitor and queries! Advice please

Arina
Arina Posts: 385 Forumite
edited 29 September 2014 at 6:58PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hello all,

I sent an email to my solicitor just to get a little update as to what's happening. Searches came back on Thursday just gone along with the draft contract. My solicitor emailed me back advising me that The searches revealed a couple of planning permission and building regulation documentation that they have had to ask for.

They have also asked questions in relation to the forms that were completed by the seller.

Anyone experienced know what these enqueries could be? I know the seller has done quite a bit of an extension in the house.

I wish my solicitor was a lot more talkative and explained things! :eek:
:beer:

Comments

• Phoebo
    Phoebo Posts: 40 Forumite
    Sorry, no help I'm afraid but our solicitor is not very forthcoming either. The searches have only just been started and they're waiting on the draft contract which was sent last week. Our vendor has asked to complete on 24th October but our solicitor won't advise if that's feasible of not. I guess until the searches come back, they can't say.

I hope you get some answers soon.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Arina wrote: »

I wish my solicitor was a lot more talkative and explained things! :eek:

Your solicitor is merely doing their job. Time is money. At the moment there's nothing to discuss.
    Enquiries To The Seller's Solicitor (the 'preliminary enquiries')
    Your solicitor will send a standard set of enquiries to the seller's solicitor which will include:
    Disputes: whether there are any disputes relating to the property, such as disputes with neighbours.

Boundaries: what exactly are the boundaries of the property and who has responsibility for the maintenance of hedges and fences. Arguments over boundaries sometimes even escalate to court cases between neighbours, so it is important to establish this now.

Planning constraints and permissions: whether any additions or alterations that have been made to the property have met local planning requirements and that building regulation consent was received.

Rights of way: checking that there is no right of way or footpath through the property, and on shared rights of access with a neighbour such as a garden or driveway.

Restrictive covenants: whether the deeds specify that certain things are forbidden, for example keeping pets, or specifying that the house cannot be painted a different colour from other houses on the street.

Guarantees or insurance policies: for example whether the property is covered by the NHBC guarantee or the woodrot treatment guarantee

Services: whether the property's utilities (gas, water, electricity) reach it via a neighbour's property or are shared with a neighbour
    List of contents included in the sale: you must make sure that you have reached a clear understanding with the seller about what is and what is not to be included and listed it clearly.

If it is a leasehold, they will ask who the managing agent is, who the freeholder is and whether the seller is up to date with ground rent and services charges.

You may want to consider asking your own additional enquiries via your solicitor, these might include questions such as whether the property has been burgled, additional questions about the neighbours or more information about any known building works.
  • andymd
    andymd Posts: 67 Forumite
    Having similar issues with our solicitor, seems nothing gets done unless we chase them. When we instructed them, they provided standards of service, i.e. respond to all emails within 2 working days, phone call same day, etc and they have consistently failed to meet these. Buyer's solicitors sent enquiries 3rd of September, weren't responded to until 17th and only after I chased.

Have been making notes to complain once we complete (didn't want to upset her whilst she can still make things difficult for us) but when I called to chase again this morning (buyer still waiting for some responses to 3rd sep queries) I was informed that 'she no longer works here', the replacement, picked the file up straight away and seems to have done more in half a day than her predecessor did in 6 weeks. Fingers crossed she'll keep it up and we can exchange this week.
  • Arina
    andymd wrote: »
    Having similar issues with our solicitor, seems nothing gets done unless we chase them. When we instructed them, they provided standards of service, i.e. respond to all emails within 2 working days, phone call same day, etc and they have consistently failed to meet these. Buyer's solicitors sent enquiries 3rd of September, weren't responded to until 17th and only after I chased.

Have been making notes to complain once we complete (didn't want to upset her whilst she can still make things difficult for us) but when I called to chase again this morning (buyer still waiting for some responses to 3rd sep queries) I was informed that 'she no longer works here', the replacement, picked the file up straight away and seems to have done more in half a day than her predecessor did in 6 weeks. Fingers crossed she'll keep it up and we can exchange this week.

That's what I'm dreading. I don't want my file to sit there and ather dust. I wil ring for a weekly update every week! Good luck to you
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    At £100 an hour I am sure the solicitor will talk to you for as long as you want.

If buyers knew exactly how little most solicitors do earn per property transaction they would be shocked.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Arina
    amnblog wrote: »
    At £100 an hour I am sure the solicitor will talk to you for as long as you want.

If buyers knew exactly how little most solicitors do earn per property transaction they would be shocked.

A lot more than a lot of us that's for sure! ;)
  • Neese
    Neese Posts: 43 Forumite
    Our solicitor sent a list of queries to the vendors solicitor, we didn't know what they were until later. As far as I understand from talking to a friend who is a conveyancer, it is standard for them to look at all of the information and then send a list of queries, some based on the info, some standard ones. We were given a full report (answers to queries and search results) from our solicitor once the queries had been answered. The report also stated which responses to queries they were not satisfied with and had queried again, and which were now satisfied.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Arina wrote: »
    That's what I'm dreading. I don't want my file to sit there and ather dust. I wil ring for a weekly update every week! Good luck to you

You are heavily dependent on the vendors and the speed with which they respond. They may well have their own moving agenda.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure