Bankrupcy records held for how long ?

How long can bankrupcy records be held for by reference agencies? Does come a point when it's never existed so when asked on an application form you can say never! Never ever ! Who me ?!

Comments

• The record is in the London Gazette online for ever, that's the easiest way for anyone to check if you have ever been bankrupt.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    How long can bankrupcy records be held for by reference agencies? ....

For CRAs it's 6 years like everything else.
    ...Does come a point when it's never existed so when asked on an application form you can say never! Never ever ! Who me ?!

If asked the question, you have to answer truthfully. As stated above, it will be in the Gazette.
  • Just to clarify what Grumpel and Antrobus have said...

The BR falls off your credit reports after 6 years (make sure you've done the CRF clean up and all your debts fall off then as well.)

Your BR is online with the London Gazette for always and forever, amen. Anyone can search it and find you.

If you are asked 'have you EVER been BR'? then you must answer yes. If you answer no and they discover you have lied then funding could be pulled leaving you in deep doo doo.

If you are asked are you BR/ are you currently BR'? then you can answer no as you are not and all should be fine.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Does come a point when it's never existed so when asked on an application form you can say never! Never ever ! Who me ?!

No, because as said the record is there searchable online permanently.

Lying on an application form could also considered application fraud by lenders, the CRAs, and the authorities.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • 2kadmin
    2kadmin Posts: 54 Forumite
    Just to add to the other posts,

Credit reference agencies - 6 Years
    Solicitors Bankruptcy Search (Land Registry) – 5 Years
    London Gazette – Forever.

However, I agree the OP there is a point when you can argue it wasn't you. For example there are four people with the same name as me on the Gazette (I don’t have a common name either), my entry shows addresses I no longer live at, mentions a job title which I no longer hold and doesn't contain my date of birth.

I would like to see anyone prove it was me!
  • debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    they could just ask the insolvency service if they are unsure if the entry related to you and they could match your date of birth
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure