Annoyed at being told I'm lucky....

I'm often told how "lucky" I am that I will be mortgage free in 6 years (fingers crossed) - I get annoyed at this as it makes it seem like it's all down to chance. I know I'm lucky to have a good job and some security, but I work for it and work to quite a strict budget in order to be able to overpay. I don't have expensive holidays and do online surveys after work and at weekends to help pay for some luxuries - it's not luck, it's work but I think it's worth it to be mortgage free by 40.

Does anyone else have similar issues with other people thinking you're a bit mad for overpaying or telling you you're "lucky" to do so?

Sorry, bit ranty - just get so frustrated at people's ignorance sometimes!
[STRIKE]Target date for buying a house - 2010[/STRIKE] Achieved April 2009
Next Target: [STRIKE]50% LTV Ratio achieved 2013 50% original mortgage paid off [/STRIKE]
Mortgage Free Target Date - [STRIKE]June 2026 June 2020 [/STRIKE]

Mortgage Free since January 2018! :T

Replies

• pleasedeletepleasedelete Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would anyone know? Do you brag about it? Seems an odd topic of conversation to me.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • Usually springs from conversation about why I don't have the latest Iphone/TV package/Clothing etc, never really saw it as bragging...food for thought...
    [STRIKE]Target date for buying a house - 2010[/STRIKE] Achieved April 2009
    Next Target: [STRIKE]50% LTV Ratio achieved 2013 50% original mortgage paid off [/STRIKE]
    Mortgage Free Target Date - [STRIKE]June 2026 June 2020 [/STRIKE]

Mortgage Free since January 2018! :T
  • Is this thread just another one of your brags?
    Hope over Fear. #VoteYes
  • jezebel wrote: »
    Usually springs from conversation about why I don't have the latest Iphone/TV package/Clothing etc, never really saw it as bragging...food for thought...

I am also hard at work trying to reach the mortgage free goal and yes I also find the topic comes up in general conversation now and again, it's not bragging it just comes up, probably because it's the most important thing on your mind.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get over yourself, you must be telling people you are going to be mortgage free within that time to get a reaction of 'you are lucky'

Stop telling people and they will stop telling you how lucky you are.

And by the way, you are bloody lucky.....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jezebel wrote: »
    I know I'm lucky......

She already knows.
    Hope over Fear. #VoteYes
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides