Vitamin B12

Okay,
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but it may save you time, money and health in the long run.

An article has recently been put in the BMJ (British Medical Journal) that is causing quite a stir.
If you think that vitamin b12 is:
a) Just a vitamin
b) Something you get enough of if you eat well
c) A deficiency which is put right easily
d) A blood condition which can result in anaemia
e) Something that is easily consumed by eating marmite
You might want to think again.

Vitamin b12 is essential for several metabolic functions - most linked to DNA synthesis - and it was around long before Health Food shops came into being!

Because a deficiency of b12 can results in neurological (nerve) and cellular damage it can present with a myriad of symptoms. Here are a few:
Prematurely greying hair
Night sweats
Balance problems
Vision issues (blurred vision occurs regularly)
Hair loss or thinning (body and/or head)

It isn't an illness that happens only to the elderly although it is more prevalent in that age group. But children can get it.

The research article (from the UK) is telling how b12 is essential to metabolic functions and how the serum b12 test (which is the standard test in the UK) is inaccurate in identifying a deficiency. So, many people have the test and think their b12 levels are okay - when in fact they are not. Most doctors think this too - which is a little worrying. Most doctors think that when they get the b12 levels right they are preventing anaemia and the neurological symptoms would normally follow that. The metabolic processes prove it's the other way round!

Here are a few more possible symptoms
- low libido
- Reduced comprehension skills
- Lack of concentration
- Fatigue
- Impotence

Many people have a deficiency because they have trouble absorbing b12, so a multivit won't work. Many people have a deficiency and presume that because their blood levels are returned to normal their deficiency is treated - and wonder why they still have symptoms.

Many more people won't ever even get tested for b12 deficiency and have no idea what is happening to them.

I can't put a link in to the article because I'm classed as a new member but if you go into bmj.com then Visit the BMJ and tap in Vitamin b12 Deficiency to the search, you will find it. You will only be able to read the abstract if you are not a member. You can however look at the responses section and see that doctors from all over the world are adding their knowledge. The embarrassment is that the first, most negative comment, is from a UK GP.

If you have any of the symptoms I have already mentioned please consider having a look - it could save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

If you are wondering how this post will save you money - well, because my neurological injury went unrecognised I lost my home. I know people who have lost their jobs and their families. Had this article been published when I was fighting my corner, my situation would not be as it is today.

And, please, don't mention Marmite - don't make me do the Marmite speech. Please.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lack of vitamin B12 results in Pernicious Aneamia.

I was diagnosed with it just after I started wth arthritis during a routine blood test.
    It also means that you cannot digest Vitamin B12 through the normal way and have to be injected with it every month to start with then every 3 months for the rest of your life.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Vegans have trouble getting it, but most omnivores should have enough in their diet.
    The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions
  • - lack of b12 does not result in PA. PA can be one cause of b12 deficiency.

- If you have a malabsorption problem you will not have enough even in a very good diet.

Can I ask something - have either of you actually looked at the information I provided from the experts before you decided to comment?
  • Kayteetoo wrote: »
    - lack of b12 does not result in PA. PA can be one cause of b12 deficiency.

- If you have a malabsorption problem you will not have enough even in a very good diet.

Can I ask something - have either of you actually looked at the information I provided from the experts before you decided to comment?

To be honest I have my doubts about both your [STRIKE]essays[/STRIKE] threads you've written on MSE.
    The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I read the BMJ article
  • That'd be a 'no' then - you are so well informed but you have no information. Genius.
  • Flugelhorn wrote: »
    I read the BMJ article

You did - and so quickly - and you must be a member to read the article!
    So why does your first comment contradict it?
    In fact don't bother answering it. You haven't read the article, it takes quite a long time. You just think you know about b12 deficiency and you had to prove it.
    Only clearly you don't know - because this article is causing a stir amongst the UK medical profession who also didn't know.
  • I'll make myself clear here - this research may benefit the health of many thousands of people in the UK. If you aren't interested or think you know it all already - why comment?
    Why not just carry on with your evening knowing that you know it all.

Leave people who are interested in learning more, to access that information if they want to.

Oh, and I've just noticed the Newbie alert. I'm not new I just can't get in under my old ID.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Kayteetoo wrote: »
    You did - and so quickly - and you must be a member to read the article!
    So why does your first comment contradict it?
    In fact don't bother answering it. You haven't read the article, it takes quite a long time. You just think you know about b12 deficiency and you had to prove it.
    Only clearly you don't know - because this article is causing a stir amongst the UK medical profession who also didn't know.

Please note Kayteetoo that I'm not the person who commented above. All I said was that I had read the article!!!

PS actually read the paper version couple of weeks ago ...
  • It's not been in the paper version yet - they aim for publication (if it goes in) about 15 days after the online. It went online 4th Sept.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure