We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Losing weight after a baby

Options
I am a mummy to 11 week old Daniel.

I am desperate to lose weight, I had an emergency section which has resulted in an orful overhang on my stomach. I wasent slim before him, size 16-18. The rest of me has pretty much gone back into shape, but i cant lose my tummy !!

I walk loads,eat low-fat etc, do the excercises the hospital recommended but nothing will shift my tummy, im one size bigger on the bottom than I was before and its driving me mad.

The other problem I have is I have a bad back as well, which does limit what excersies I can do.

Any suggestions

sarah
:j mseswgwa:j

Comments

• astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry i dont know, but i wouldnt mind finding out!
    Your story sounds just like mine, although my son is 3 :eek:
    I dont have an overhang as such but my tummy isnt like it was, people reccomended sit ups but they mainly do your abs, and not your lower tummy which is the bit that really needs doing!
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I remember right the exercises for lower tummy they used to do in fitness classes were lying on your back and raising and lowering your legs from horizontal to vertical. You do this as slowly as you can. Don't do it if you have back problems though and if you feel your back getting sore, bend your legs straight away...
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    There's another thread about this very subject over on the Marriage and Relationships board which you might find helpful.

As you have a bad back and had a recent section, I'd try and find an exercise class for new mums if I were you to get advice about what exercises are safe for you. Your HV will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction. This will also give some moral support and a reason to get out and actually do the exercises. If you're bf then this will help with the weight loss. However most women are heavier after the birth than before, so if you had a small weight issue before, as you say you did, you can't expect to be superslim within just 11 weeks. Be kind to yourself, and don't cut fat or calories too hard. The period after birth is tough and you need time for rest and recuperation to protect your own physical and mental health. Even if it takes a few more months to get back to a size and shape you feel comfortable with, at least when you are out and about everyone will see that you have a new born baby and will therefore understand why you do not look like a size zero supermodel!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's only 11 weeks, and it took 40 weeks to grow your baby. Keep on with the regime, but don't expect too much in a short space of time. My midwife told me that it takes around two years on average for your body to fully recover from giving birth.

Ignore all these celebrities who schedule caesarian sections and a tummy tuck combined (at around 7and a half to 8 months - to avoid the big surge of weight that goes on in the last few weeks). They are living in la la land. My tummy looked like a bowl of porridge for at least four or five months first time round. It was back to normal by a year. It went back even quicker with baby number 2 who was breastfed.

Don't beat yourself up!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • Littlebean_2
    Options
    As babyblooz said - give yourself time. It took a long time to grow your baby and the old adage 9 month up, 9 months down has more than a grain of truth. Yes, these celebs can squeeze back into their skinny jeans in no time but they have an army of staff to help them. Most people in the world don't look like supermodels. Your tummy may not look great now but give it some time and concentrate on eating well and taking care of yourself and little 'un - walking is great for general fitness with the added benefit that junior often falls asleep during it. There's plenty of time for dieting/exercise later if you feel you need it.
  • bloomin_freezing
    Options
    Just repeating everyone else, it will happen.
    Good luck.
    Fight for clean hospitals, C-DIFF takes lives :cry:

Baby number 2 due 27th March 2009!:j
  • Hay_2
    Hay_2 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Sweetheart....I can honestly tell you as a mum of three including an emergency section 1lb 9oz 27 weeker...give yourself a break.Try not to worry about weight and other things just enjoy your gorgeous little boy because they grow so fast xxxxxxx
    New Year~New Start!!:beer:
    Getting on back on the moneysaving wagon in 2009!

January grocery challenge~ £400 Spent £49.55
    £100 clothes for a year~Spent £0
  • seraphin_2
    seraphin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all so much !!

I know its only been a few weeks since i had daniel, and i will never be victoria beckham ! I will keep up the healthy diet and keep doing lots of walking, and speak to my hv about any fitness classes in my area.

You have all spurred me on to not feel sorry for myself, and just enjoy being a mummy.

Thanks again

sarah x
    :j mseswgwa:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business