Section 32 problems gmp and aviva

Options

Comments

• djcanderson
    Options
    Hopefully I can find someone to give me the right sort of advice:)
  • Lekkguy
    Lekkguy Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I received my letter from Aviva today regarding my s32 pension.I already knew there was not enough money in the pot to receive my pension from them in April as planned and would have to wait until I reached 65 in 2019 but just to receive a short glib letter with the sentence 'My calculations show that it is not possible to pay the full GMP now' without any explanation or apology is just poor customer service.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

may be worth a look.

However, under the new state pension rules, you should be aware that the state will no longer be index linking pre 88 GMP or the excess over 3% CPI on post 88 GMP.

Have you obtained a new state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Lekkguy

I'm really sorry to see your post and would like to help. If you'd like me to arrange for someone to contact you about this, please email the following details to social@aviva.co.uk -

Full name
    Date of birth
    Postcode
    Policy number
    Contact telephone number

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Many Thanks

Stephanie
    Aviva Social Media Team
  • Lekkguy
    Options
    Have had a call off Aviva,basically acknowledged the letter I received was not exactly 'customer friendly 'and are now going to email me a more concise letter with facts and figures.Also confirmed I will not be getting my pension until my 65' birthday.Roll on April 2019!.
  • Lekkguy
    Options
    Received an email from Aviva today explaining in precise terms why I will have to wait till my 65' birthday to start my pension.Gave me the exact figures of what the policy is worth at the moment and how much short I am from the GMP cost figure.Not what I wanted to hear of course but I now know exactly where I stand pension wise.
  • HelpAtHand
    Options
    Do you have a Section 32 Pension originally taken out with Norwich Union in the late 80's, early 90's?
    Have you been told by Aviva that the 'pot' is insufficient to pay your GMP at the Benefit Date and you'll have to wait until you're 65?
    You might also have been told that HMRC have reduced the GMP you expected to receive?
    BE AWARE THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAID PENSION FROM BENEFIT DATE EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE ORIGINALLY TOLD THE SAME AS YOU.
    If you have been told HMRC have reduced the GMP you will, in all likelihood, find that your (larger) GMP is actually defined in the policy and cannot be reduced by Aviva, HMRC or anyone else.
    As a new user I can't give you a direct link to click but if you search for the Pensions Ombudsman in Google - Go to the Ombudsman's site and search for "Anthony Harris" (include the full quotation marks). View the determination and you may be pleasantly surprised.
    This is a trailblazer, Mr A Harris, who successfully challenged the lack of pension at age 60.
    I hope to shortly be able to give you a link to compare your own policy with similar ones that have received compensation. If yours is identical (it will be) accept NOTHING that Aviva tell you.
  • waterstar
    waterstar Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here are links to the Pension Ombudsman's ruling re Mr Harris referred to in HelpAtHand's previous post:

https://www.pensions-ombudsman.org.uk/determinations/2014/po-2269/aviva-plc/

https://www.pensions-ombudsman.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/PO-2269.pdf

I do not know if mr Harris has ever contributed to this site, however i have come across him posting on another "money website".
    Money Saving Fan.
  • persistancepaysoff
    Options
    You are right I haven't been part of this site. I am now -
    I am fortunate with my ruling and would love this to have an impact on other S32 sufferers. My main message is - read the policy - nowhere does it say Aviva have the right not to pay out at 60. The fact that their fund, through their investment policy, is insufficient for GMP is irrelevant. It may be true, but this is not a defence to withhold pension payments. Aviva cannot defer your pension only you can. But why would you?
  • Lekkguy
    Options
    Have just read on the Mail Money website the Pension Ombudsman is refusing to take on any more Aviva S32 cases?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure