Tracing My Debts

Options
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has been or is in the same situation as I am, I am currently trying to track my debts down, and have got the forms to go off to the credit reference agencies, how far back do I ask of my addresses? seems I have left quite a trail over the years, idiot that I am, I have been running along time, and a while ago burnt all my paper work apart from my bank account numbers!!!:eek: :eek: foolish I know but I had my head in the sand for a long time, what I want to know is once these credit reports are back, are they sufficent enough to take to the court, or would it be advisable to contact everyone I owe money to and to get a statement from them of what I actually owe? obviously this would disclose to them where I am now living, I guess they would start to bombard me all over again and come knocking on the door, I have been scared to answer the door for ages now as it is.

Also I dont have the money to pay my fee's I am on benefit so get part waved but have to find the rest, and have got a couple of hundred in premium bonds, if I draw this money out towards my fees would this be seen as disposing of assets, I don't want to alienate the OR from the word go.

Many Thanks
Migz;)
Looking to the horizon... instead of over my shoulder real soon!!:rolleyes:

Comments

• NorthernOne
    NorthernOne Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was in the same boat, I listed all the debts I could remember but to be honest I had loads and when I got to over £70k I gave up listing them especially as I was on the second sheet of paper!

Just list as many as you can with approximate figures, they will soon correct the OR when they know your BR or have tracked you down! As all your debt will be taken into account when you go BR. The OR will understand if you don’t know then all.

Don’t think you will have any problems with your premium bonds especially as your using the money to go BR.

As for the knocking on the door, you will not understand (until after BR) the relief you get from been able to open the door and answer the phone knowing that you do not need to fear who is on the other side/end.

Good luck. :)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Hi TroubledSoul. :)

It is best to get as much info as possible.

I understand your reluctance to get in touch with creditors that you thought had been left far behind, but if you are committed to BR then there is nothing they can do to you.

Credit references should give you an indication as to your creditors over the last six years, but they cannot give give specific details such as account/ref numbers etc if you no longer have these. Again if you are committed to going BR just ring up the creds and ask.

However, Nothernone is correct that if you really can't face al that then the OR can deal with anything that suddenly crops up, but it would make life a lot easier for you and the OR if you can provide the details up front.

EDIT: Yes, the premium bonds will be no problem at all. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi TS - I agree with the others in that you SHOULD cash in your premium bonds for the fee. Otherwise the OR will take them - I had ONE Premium Bond (about 30 years old) and had to give that to the OR.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • jude47
    jude47 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Troubled Soul
    Everyone here is quite right - you don't need to worry about tracing all your debts. That's the reason your BR is advertised, so that any creditors you've forgotten can come forwarded. All your debts are deemed to be included in your BR (with a couple of statutory exceptions that probably don't apply to you)
    Good luck with your BR and keep posting!!

Jude x
  • TroubledSoul_3
    Options
    Hi all, I truely am committed now to all this, I do know who I owe to but don't have the reference numbers and wouldn't know now the amounts after intrest etc has been added over time. But not to worry I guess once the reports are back I just have to bite the bullet and get in touch with them and hide behind the sofa for a little longer (LOL) while I gather all the info I can get my hands on.

Form gone off today for cashing premium bonds so the wheels are in motion now!!

Thanks you all for your replies.
    Looking to the horizon... instead of over my shoulder real soon!!:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family