A goal to work for... at last

Options
I am a long time lurker here and have been inspired to set ourselves a target to be mortgage free.

Bit of background...

We took out a mortgage of £115,000 in 2009 and now have just £32,000 to pay off. We are currently on a First Direct fee free two year deal (2.49%) which runs till Oct 2015. We can make as many overpayments as we like, which is ideal for our situation.

We want to clear the mortgage before DH's 60th birthday on Sept 2017 and save up for a camper van!

DH has a stable full time job and I have a complex income arrangement made up for some self employment and termly contracts for three different organisations. I am a teacher/tutor/lecturer.

We tend to live fairly frugally (I have never really moved on from 'studenthood'), cook from scratch every day, grow lots of our own fruit and veg, have chickens and our holidays tend to be camping ones in the UK.

I have had a very busy summer and am having a quiteish few weeks before Uni term starts again and am going to be looking through our finances to maximise our accounts etc.

Wish us luck..:beer:

Dozy Prawn

Comments

• kirstypark
    Options
    Good luck, dozy prawn - love the name!

We were doing great with our mortgage overpayments...till we bought a campervan. I think there should be a campervan moneysaving site now. :rotfl:
    mortgage 1 33,000. paid nov 2012 :D. mortgage 2 87,000 due 51,686.76 at july 2013, but then:new home and remortgage ... £101065.43:eek: now 74k
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Sounds familiar here too, I would like a camper van. Very good luck with your journey, you seem to be doing very well,

Squirrel x
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    Good luck!

No yearning for a campervan here but I want to know more about your chooks!
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • Dozy_Prawn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. The name Dozy Prawn came from a nickname my Dad gave me as a child (not sure why, but I'm not much of an evening/night owl, so I might have looked very tired after school!).

We have two brown hybrid chickens (Megan and Martha) they are about three years old and have become a bit unpredictable in their laying! But as veggies, they are considered pets and not pot material!

I've found a camper van avatar to keep me motivated!

Dozy
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You've been doing amazingly well so far.

Will look forward to reading more about how you are achieving your aims, and to follow your progress
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello and welcome! DH and I looked at a couple of (quite luxurious!) campervans over the Summer hols - perhaps when all of our brood have flown the nest! (although our youngest is only 5 - so we've a while yet!) Look forward to following your journey :) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport