New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debt Solutions

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
31 replies 15.4K views
MSE_AmyMSE_Amy Former MSE
49 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks :),

Replies

• JCS1JCS1 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a number of errors/omissions on the bankruptcy section, how do you wish to go about amending these?
  • philnicandevanphilnicandevan Forumite
    655 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Must have read your mind..about to post the same myself JCS1
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • coolcaitcoolcait Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the guide is a great idea, but I have a couple of comments from the Scottish point of view.

It would probably be better to highlight, at the top, that most of the information in the guide applies only to England and Wales, and have a link to a separate section for Scotland.

There doesn't seem to be any information at all on bankruptcy in Scotland. There are some very important differences - for example, how you apply, what evidence you need to provide, how much it costs to apply for your own bankruptcy.

Trust Deeds now last for a minimum of four years, and you have to owe a minimum of £5,000 (?) before you can sign a TD. Those were just a couple of the changes made at the end of November 2013.

The link for the Debt Arrangement Scheme goes to a commercial lead generating site rather than to the Scottish Government's DAS website. If that's intentional, perhaps it should be made clear before people click on the link? If you want the official DAS website, it's www.dasscotland.gov.uk

As an aside, the Debt Arrangement Scheme is part of Scottish legislation, and not just a blanket term for any scheme/plan which pays money back to creditors.

Sorry if any of that has pre-empted your own work on the Scottish part of the guide. Or maybe you're waiting till September 19th... ;-)
  • I agree with JCS 1.....there are a number of generalisations [which seem intended to actually frighten folk off?] which seriously need addressing.

Perhaps the experts at MSE should have consulted with the experts on their very own BAnkruptcy forum, before jumping in with both feet?

Maybe MSE ought to have come to an arrangement wit DebtCamel, instead?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • I dont see why websites try to make a crap attempt at explaining bankruptcy when they could just link to the official guide provided by the IS here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bankruptcy

or their basic information pages which are suitably uncomplicated https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • coolcaitcoolcait Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    debtinfo wrote: »
    I dont see why websites try to make a crap attempt at explaining bankruptcy when they could just link to the official guide provided by the IS here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bankruptcy

or their basic information pages which are suitably uncomplicated https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy

I agree!

Similar - official - links are available for Scottish 'Debt Solutions'.

(It still worries me that the link for the Debt Arrangement Scheme takes people to a commercial lead-generator's website rather than the official Scottish government DAS website!)
  • I don't have a problem with websites such as this providing a guide to bankrupty. The IS pages are fine for people who know what they are reading, but can be uneccessarily complicated for people who don't.

However it is really important that any guide is kept up to date! Someone needs to "own" it, so other people could just send them a note when something needs to be changed.
  • I find it of concern when these sites make sweeping statements which are simplistic in extremis.

CAre really needs to be taken when trying to convey information in a concise, but abbreviated, manner.

We all know...and have responded to, examples of where a poster has been presented with simplistic information.....the example I can think of is the IPA?

How often do we respond to someone who thinks the IPA is paid regardless, and takes everything?

They have been told, briefly about bankruptcy...and get the impression they will have to pay for 3 years, no choice.

Yet,we all know, IPAs can be varied to suit circumstances, and are first & foremost an agreement.

And may not happen at all?

SO, by being brief with information, the recipient gains entirely the wrong impression.

A particlaur gem I picked up from the subject debt rememdy site concerns what happens to one's home in BAnkrutpcy?

The impression it gave me was, if I go bankrutpc, I will lose my home.

Period!!

Endex!!

Full stop!!!

Whereas we on here know, that actually is not the case, by a long chalk.

There is little emphasis with words like 'might', or 'may', or 'could'....

The upside of the IS pages is, they tell the facts.

One doesn't need to know much to start with...but the object of reading any such site, is to find information.....information that is accurate, and not subject to interpretation or opinion.

The IS site should have been strongly linked.,IMHO.

The site I feel has the right balance for initial advice is Debt CAmel.....
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • JCS1JCS1 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    One glaring omission from the guide is vehicles........

I am somewhat surprised that no-one from MSE has responded.
  • Given the lack of integrity of the original information, probably they don't really care?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support