Would welcome your thoughts on my situation

Hello

I've lurked here for some time and would be interested for your thoughts, feedback and advice on my situation.

I earn £27,500 a year (of which 3% is salary sacrificed for my pension and also have a student loan). My deposit is £15,000 and I'm debt free (but spend a couple of hundred pounds each month on a credit card).

The plan is to buy a 2 bed flat for £125,000 - £145,000 to live in and rent out the second bedroom for around £450 per month. Currently I pay £725 in rent (plus £250 in Council Tax, gas/electric bills, phone, internet, etc.) and am locked into a tenancy agreement until the end of the year. No late/missed payments on my credit file for nearly five years, but did have one default on a mobile phone bill in November 2009 which was satisfied in early 2010.

My questions are:

What are my chances of getting a mortgage?

If I'm intending on renting a room, can potential rental income count towards the mortgage application?

Many thanks

Replies

• Alan_CrossAlan_Cross Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Wow, a single bedroom rented out in Bristol goes for £450/month? Must get myself into that market...
  • dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No lender will count the income from getting a lodger.
    With £15,000 deposit you are looking at 10% deposit so 90% mortgages.
    Four times you income might be possible. £108,000
    If you pay more than £125,000 you also have stamp duty.
    If you can get a two bed/ two bathroom place ( one En-Suite ) with both bedrooms doubles and similar size you should have little problem getting a lodger.
  • ACGACG Forumite
    21.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should be looking more towards the lower end of your budget. Some lenders will ignore your pension payments, others will not so a good choice of lender may enable you to get more but to be honest i think £145k is probably going to be a little too much.

No lender will accept lodger income so its probably worth knocking that one on the head.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks for your replies Dimbo and ACG, it's really appreciated. They've given me food for thought
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The student loan payments and ground rent & service charges will see what you can borrow reduced. In some cases, pension contributions will too.

You need to carefully plan affordability under the new MMR regime. An independent broker will help you work out the best lender for your needs/circumstances.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Thanks Kingstreet. I hadn't considered the effect of the charges and ground rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides