First month switched from Sainsburys to Lidl/Aldi

Options

Comments

• catwoman73
    Options
    How can lack of choice be a good thing?

For certain things, little or no choice is required. How many different types of chopped tinned tomatoes do you need to choose from? As long as the options available are of sufficient quality, what more do you need?

Aldi do normal and posh tinned tomatoes, and pasatta and puree, so a total of about 4 options. Whereas Tesco has 61 options for these items on their website!

OK, you might sometimes want organic or a different pack size, but puree keeps for ages in the fridge and any leftover tomatoes or passata can be frozen.

Therefore, I simply do not want to have to look through over 60 different options for one type of product and it saves time not to have to do so.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catwoman73 wrote: »
    How can lack of choice be a good thing?

For certain things, little or no choice is required. How many different types of chopped tinned tomatoes do you need to choose from? As long as the options available are of sufficient quality, what more do you need?

Aldi do normal and posh tinned tomatoes, and pasatta and puree, so a total of about 4 options. Whereas Tesco has 61 options for these items on their website!

I completely disagree with you. Choice is always a good thing as it enables you to get precisely the product you want.

If this forum proves anything it is that people have widely differing tastes and needs. It is one of the triumphs of modern retailing that these differences can be catered for..
  • Peggybabcot
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I completely disagree with you. Choice is always a good thing as it enables you to get precisely the product you want.

If this forum proves anything it is that people have widely differing tastes and needs. It is one of the triumphs of modern retailing that these differences can be catered for..

True, but at a price :(
    Grocery challenge June 2016
    £500/£516.04
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £500/£503.73
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    True, but at a price :(

I've never bought that excuse for the high prices charged by UK supermarkets. I accept it's a contributory factor but my experience suggests that the real reason lies in the corporate structure of large UK (and American) businesses. They suffer from levels of management bloat that smaller, privately owned and managed companies don't suffer - which is why Lidl and Aldi are running rings round them.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got my dd some jodhpurs last week for £4.99!! she is tiny and fits in the kids sizes but the quality is amazing they would be about £30 from the tack shop. From Aldi. Always on the look out for their equestrian stuff.
    Slightly bitter
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We have also moved away from getting everything from Tesco, it simply got more and more expensive.

This month we are trialling filling the freezer from Iceland and getting the other bits we need from Tesco on a £1 delivery slot.

We tend to shop for fresh fruit and veg locally as we need it.

People may sneer at Iceland but we've been trying this and that for ages, found many more products we'd be happy to buy again than not. And alot of times they are cheaper than Tesco too.

1.8kg bag of Aunt Bessie chips £2 Iceland, Tesco rarely ever have the big bags so it would have to be £2.20 for a 900 odd g bag. They do a 2 for £3 offer a couple times a year.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Iceland are very good for frozen veg and fish. They also often have tea, bread, eggs, milk, toilet rolls etc at good prices. I personally don't care for the quality of the fresh meat or veg in my local store but I'll often buy the cheap offcuts of ham etc for sandwiches. I think Iceland contributed to their image having a certain "chavness" to it with their TV advertising, they have upped their game a lot from a few years back.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I must admit we are lucky having virtually all the supermarkets nearby. This means I can savvy shop at all.

Like today I had a tesco voucher so I knew I get reimbursed for some paper, needed some more school shirts and having a look at my points vouchers and what was on shopitize hit the store.

I do shop at Alfie but stock is quite low/ bad at ours.
    Go get it!
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    It's telling that this morning in Sainsburys you could park wherever you wished whereas Lidl's car park was like 3pm on the 23rd December!! Utter chaos, tempers fraying that no spaces were available. I think Lidl et al are real game changers in British supermarket retail. Sainsburys and the rest really need to adapt soon or they'll die. When they are charging twice what lidl are for comparable items, it won't take long for the unconverted to see the light!! Our snotty neighbour opposite, until very recently, had Ocado or Waitrose delivered. Who did I see pull up in Lidl's this morning?.....
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• katehesk
    Options
    Savannah31 wrote: »
    We used to shop at Asda and would spent £140 a week for 5 of us. We now shop at Aldi and have for a year. We spent around £80 a week.

My only peev with Aldi is that they don't do any wholegrain items, such as rice, wraps, bagels etc.... Also no half fat soured cream ;-)

It would just make life easier if they did those wholegrain options as we eat alot of them.

I only to go Asda now or sometimes a pound shop for toiletries as I like my branded shampoos, shower gels, toothpaste....

They've got brown rice in on special ATM. I love aldi. Never been as keen on lidless but might give it another try.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure