my late uncles loan

I hope someone can help me. My uncle died last year (Oct)leaving no wife, no children, no will and no money!
I (the niece) rang his bank the day after he died to freeze the account.(my uncle had made his friend next of kin for the bank so he could get money out for him but I had an idea he was helping himself as well, a later statement showed this)
Anyway the bank sent me a form to sign. I asked if I would be liable for his debt as they told me he had a Barclay loan and they said yes so I said I wouldn`t sign.
The guy on the phone said no problem and they would pass the debt on to the bailiffs and when they come knocking at my house, just tell them the same thing ie no will no money etc and hopefully they should just forget about it

I never heard from the bailiffs and in January 14 I got another letter asking for settlement of the account. I again phoned and said nothing had changed.
I was told to send a letter I explain that which I did. I have never heard anything from them since.
Do you think they have wrote if off or will they still try and get me to pay. I am worried because I haven`t even got that amount myself to pay even if I wanted to!
Is there a time limit on which they can try to make me pay?

Sorry for long post

Comments

• bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Send them a copy of the death certificate and confirmation that there is nothing in the estate with which to settle the debt. It dies with him.

You are not liable for his debt unless you were a guarantor or co-signor. Just send that to Barclays by registered post and ask that the matter be marked as finished. You are under no obligation to do anything more.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • Thank you BargainBetty
    Your reply has helped a great deal

Yes I did send the death certificate off about a month after he died and the letter in January explained everything that basically said he had nothing. He lived in council property, the jewellery he had on when he died stayed with him. He only had just over £100 in his account which the bank took against the loan he even had to have a paupers funeral has he had no insurance!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Trixie

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had dealing with this. It sounds like it's been very poorly handled by those concerned.

As bargainbetty says, keep it short and to the point. You may find our fact sheet on debts after a death useful:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/21%20EW%20Dealing%20with%20debts%20when%20someone%20dies/Default.aspx

Kind regards

Dennis
    Twitter: @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thank you very much Dennis
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport