RIFT Tax Return

Options
I have seen a thread on this but it is closed and so I cannot add my part to it.

My brother pointed me in the direction of this company who have been refunding tax to other soldiers. All I had to do was send them a few details and they would do everything for me and send me a cheque in the post.

I have sent them my details and they have just got back to me telling me I am due a payment of £1,479.60. I have seen that this is the final payment AFTER they have taken 28% + VAT.

They sent me an email with my tax returns for the last 2 years all filled out. Is there a way of using these to get the full amount instead of paying them their fee?

Andy

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you want to get out of paying them for the work they've done? Even if you achieved that, they'd only pursue the debt through the small claims court. When he engaged RIFT, he agreed to their t&cs - if he didn't want to pay for their work, he shouldn't have engaged them to do it.
  • Dr_Teeth
    Dr_Teeth Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Have you signed anything authorising them to act on your behalf?
  • huwjorgen
    Options
    This thread rings with me but I haven't contacted Rift Tax or employed their services; does anyone know how I can find the rules etc to claim what I'm apparently owed without using an intermediary?
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    huwjorgen wrote: »
    This thread rings with me but I haven't contacted Rift Tax or employed their services; does anyone know how I can find the rules etc to claim what I'm apparently owed without using an intermediary?

You can try phoning HMRC directly to tell them what expenses you incur which you want to claim tax relief for.

Or,

You can engage a "normal" accountant, i.e. the kind you find on a street corner near you, who will most likely charge a simple hourly rate to help you get any tax refund, not based on percentage recovery etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure