Online Banking when BR

Hi everyone

I'm 2 months into my BR and all seems to be going ok so far. My only major issue is with online banking. I'm so used to having to watch my account like a hawk that now that I cant go online i'm finding it extremely frustrating. My local Barclays know me well now as they allow me to log on there when i need to.

I've noticed though that I haven't lost my online account with the Coop and just wondered if anyone out there uses their co-op account and has kept their online account? If so, I think i'm going to switch my DD's etc and start using it.

In the meantime, does anyone have any tips to make this a little easier? I seem to have kept my phone banking so I can check my balance but I sometimes need to transfer money to my daughters account and this is impossible without going into a branch.

Thanks
WW

Comments

• alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Hi...I assume the Co-op account is a Cashminder account? {Their basic account..the only type of account allowable in Bankruptcy...certainly whilst undischarged].

If that is the case, [and Co-op were not one of your creditors?]....it is there to be used.

Co-op Cashminder accounts...whilst they must be opened either pre-bankruptcy, or once Discharged...[Co-op now have a policy of not opening a Cashminder to an Undischarged BR].....retain all phone & internet services..................unlike Barclays.

This particular topic has been exceedingly well covered on this forum....[but, mods, could do with being made a stickie??]

I suggest.........the Barclays account be left to pay out direct debits...but the Co-op be used for all other transactions..these can then be done online...even to your daughter!

Maybe have incomes paid into the Co-op...then use their internet access to feed the BArclays account?

Of course, if the Co-op account is not their basic account [Cashminder]..then the above will not apply.

[Co-op will not keep it open if they are creditors in the Bankruptcy...apparently.]
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • Hi Alistairq thank you for your reply.

Yes its a basic cashminder account, opened prior to BR. Coop are not a creditor so no issues there.

I'll take your advice and have my wages paid into the coop and use that account to feed into Barclays.

Thanks again and apologies for not doing a search first.:)

WW
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    .... My only major issue is with online banking. I'm so used to having to watch my account like a hawk that now that I cant go online i'm finding it extremely frustrating. .....

I was like this too - so used to robbing peter to paul and juggling balances in the middle of the night to make sure I was meeting all the payments :eek:
    I got Barclays to give me weekly paper statements and large credit/debit alerts texts and gradually, I started to relax a bit. (My Barclays manager was stunned to find I couldn't even log on in the branch...!)
    12 months on I rushed into the branch to get my internet banking set up and get the 'App' and do you know what - I've used the online banking so little I've forgotten the password already! I downloaded the 'App' which gives me an instant balance and that's it - I've got so used to managing my money in the 'old school' way of mental running total and saving up to buy rather than credit that I just don't seem to need it so much.:)
  • I was like this too - so used to robbing peter to paul and juggling balances in the middle of the night to make sure I was meeting all the payments :eek:
    I got Barclays to give me weekly paper statements and large credit/debit alerts texts and gradually, I started to relax a bit. (My Barclays manager was stunned to find I couldn't even log on in the branch...!)
    12 months on I rushed into the branch to get my internet banking set up and get the 'App' and do you know what - I've used the online banking so little I've forgotten the password already! I downloaded the 'App' which gives me an instant balance and that's it - I've got so used to managing my money in the 'old school' way of mental running total and saving up to buy rather than credit that I just don't seem to need it so much.:)

Hi there. Part of the reason for waiting for a couple of months is that I was thinking that maybe I would eventually get used to the old school way of banking but i wasn't sure it was going to happen so its good to hear that it eventually does.

Part of the problem as you say is that i'm so used to having to check and recheck daily (and nightly) that its taking time to come down from that. My account management isn't brilliant partly because my child benefit etc come in at different times of the week or month. Its so hard to schedule direct debits around this. I'm struggling with this and its starting to stress me out to be honest.

Its good to hear though that it can be done without internet banking.

WW
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know how hard it is to make ends meet and the 4 week cycle of benefits is a nightmare when everyone one wants a monthly DD - just one more hurdle for the those who have to eek a little money out - I never understood why regular benefits like child benefit and tax credits cant be paid monthly. However, it is possible to get some DD's set up for 4 weekly but you have to ask - sometimes more than once (I didn't know you could get weekly paper statements from Barclays until someone told me and it took 3 trips to my local branch before I found a cashier who sorted it)
    Some Credit Unions offer budgeting or 'jam jar' accounts if you have one near you? Credit Unions are usually free and are open to BR's :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure