We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Keeping current accounts after Bankruptcy

Options
2»

Comments

• NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicky7175 wrote: »
    I went bankrupt last week I opened a nationwide flex acoount before going bankrupt for my benefits and rent to be paid, I thought naybe it might be shut down. But I recieved a letter from nationwide this morning to say they are keeping the account for me

As Fermi said above, this is not always the case and unfortunately banks have been known to go back on their word. I'm not sure if nicky owed her bank money, but if you do, then you can be certain that you will not be allowed to keep it as it will be included in the bankruptcy.
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    ........ but I thought the OR was able to retain funds for your living expenses?

The OR can't order a bank to to release funds to you if that would result in the account being left overdrawn. Neither can they instruct a bank to leave an account open, except for the purpose of inspection by the OR.

Funds can be released from an account in credit, but that does not appear to be your position.

If your payment dates for wages, credits, DD's etc make it impossible to set up a new account in time to receive/pay these then perhaps delaying might be worth considering.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    nicky7175 wrote: »
    I went bankrupt last week I opened a nationwide flex acoount before going bankrupt for my benefits and rent to be paid, I thought naybe it might be shut down. But I recieved a letter from nationwide this morning to say they are keeping the account for me

Nationwide are normally good. While it is always better to open an account post BR, they will normally keep to their word.

As some people have recently discovered though, if the OR doesn't get their letter stating no interest in the account quickly in the post or faxed, a Nationwide account can still end up being frozen temporarily.

Again, if at all practical, open the account post BR.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • backontheup
    backontheup Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Will the bank freeze all the money that I currently have left in there if I don't take it out now?

Yes. pure and simple. You need to take your funds out now and live on cash

I have previously been advised not to open a basic account until after my BR, but if it can take up to 4 weeks, I may be left stranded without a bank account?

Not being funny here love, but you are about to go bankrupt. Being 'stranded' without a bank account is the least of your problems ;-)

Dont worry about these things. You are focussing too much on really inconsequential matters. You need to empty your account, go bankrupt, then immediately open a basic bank account with either Nationwide or the Co-op
    DISCHARGED 12th December 2007:T

BSC Member #91

Proud to have dealt with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business